Saturday, May 2, 2020

APRIL 2020


Another month, come and gone, and a new month has arrived. It happens so fast, doesn't it?

I don't know about you guys, but April kind of went by in a blur for me. (I blame it on Camp NaNo xD) I can't believe it's already over and May is here. o.o Hopefully that means the ACTUAL end of gloomy weather and sunshine is here to stay! (except, y'know, not forever. I still love me some rain.)

BUT ANYWAY it is time to recap the month. READ ON, FRIENDS. 


I only read two books (or maybe two and a half??) in April. *sigh* They were amazing (I'm still on my reread of the Out of Time series), but I do wish I was reading a little faster! Granted, this month was consumed with writing (yay!) so I spent most of my waking moments doing that, but still. I remember when I could finish a book in two days. *cries* HOW DOES ONE HARNESS TIME.

I also got quite a few new books this month and I'm pretty happy about that. xD I got Unblemished by Sara Ella, Rising Shadows by Ashley Townsend, The Story Raider by Lindsay Franklin (I don't have The Story Peddler yet but this one was FOUR DOLLARS so I couldn't pass it up), The Book of Secrets by M.L. Little, Porch Swing Girl by Taylor Bennett, and Captives by Jill Williamson. I also won an ARC of Dust by Kara Swanson???!! I haven't received it yet, but I'm so excited!!

This isn't exactly a reading thing (maybe I should change the title of this segment to "Bookish"?? xD), but I got two candles from Pixie Dust and I am IN. LOVE. (I don't have a picture of both of them, but I got the Romanov one and the Wood Between the Worlds one and they smell SO. GOOD. And they're so prettyyyy.)

It was Camp NaNo month!! *cheers*

My goal this month was to finish the first draft of Once Upon. And guys: I DID IT!

I have no idea why Mark Ruffalo is dancing with a Muppet, but could I pass it up? No.
You know that feeling when you're soo close to finishing a book but it just keeps going on and on...?
That's what happened here. xD I knew the end was in sight, I knew what had to happen, but I got to a point where I just had to keep writing and writing and threading these important scenes together and IT GOT KIND OF EXHAUSTING. But I made it through and I finished!! Once Upon is officially drafted!

My final word count was 92, 585. 50,000-some odd words of that were written last November, and I wrote 42k in April. o.o I can't believe I wrote that much honestly?? Like that's almost a whole other NaNo. I don't really know how I'm still alive.

And can I just say that I was torturing myself by torturing my characters there toward the end? xD It got to the point where I was almost mad at myself (key word: almost) for the stuff they were going through. Especially my precious boy Trentley! *protects him at all costs* *except doesn't because I'm the writer and I will therefore torture him*

I'm going to miss Trentley and Jynnia, but I'm so excited to move on to my next big project! I plan to start rewrites/edits/whatever the heck needs to be done on Roots to Claim next and I AM SO EXCITED. I loved spending April fully immersed in Once Upon, but I joked a few weeks ago about lusting after other stories and, well, that's what's been happening. I can't stop thinking about Roots to Claim and I can't wait to get back into it and reunite with my boys Archlan and Quinard and make myself emotional all over again.

COLLEGE THINGS ARE HAPPENING, PEOPLE. And I'm not a fan. xD

I officially have my schedule for this fall, which doesn't even feel real? I keep forgetting, but the reality is that I start college in three months. o.o I'm not ready? Yet I'm also ready? It's weird. xD Please pray for me as I start this new venture!

The last weekend of the month was something I'd been very, very eagerly anticipating and counting down the days for... an event that got cancelled. -_- Well, not cancelled exactly, but postponed until July. I'm glad it's still happening (and I fully supported it being postponed), but WOW it was frustrating when the days I'd waited so long for arrived for nothing. xD BUT I still had an amazing weekend. I had taken off from work for the event, so I had four days straight at home. (That NEVER happens.) I did some reading, some cleaning, some baking, (okay this is sounding like Tangled?? 100% unintentional but I'm 200% okay with it xD) and SO MUCH WRITING. I honestly don't know if I would have finished Once Upon if it hadn't been for that weekend.

THE MOST EXCITING THING HAPPENED THIS MONTH WHICH I HAVE ALREADY FLAILED ABOUT BUT WE'RE DOING IT AGAIN. THE HAVOK: SEASON TWO ANTHOLOGY CONTAINING MY STORY RELEASED.

I'm so excited about this and I can't believe it's real! I can't wait to have a print copy in my hands. I've been published in a magazine before (yeaaaars ago) but this is different. It's a legit book. I'll be able to say that I have a story ON MY BOOKSHELF.  (Aaand the fact that I'm IN A BOOK WITH JILL WILLIAMSON is pretty darn cool, too. I haven't read any of her books yet but I've been following Go Teen Writers for years so this is just insane.)

*squee*

I went to the Facebook launch party for the anthology (literally created a FB account just for the occasion xD), and it was so much fun! I highly recommend going to the next one if they do it for the next anthology. It was a blast to hang out with the other authors and celebrate all the stories.

Also, the anthology release was the same day I finished writing my book. So that was a really good day. ;D

Have some laughs!



Okay but can I just say how much I am LOVING this channel?? XD Their videos are HILARIOUS and that DISNEY QUARANTINE SONG VIDEO. The whole thing's great, but the end had me DYING. Tangled fans, this one's for us. ;)

YOU ALSO NEED TO WATCH THESE BECAUSE THEY ARE HYSTERICAL:



What I've been listening to:

Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship // this is one of my new favorite songs IT'S JUST SO GOOD GUYS
Separate Ways by Journey // I got on a bit of an 80s kick and I ain't done yet xD
Disney music // I know that's not very specific but I've been listening to a lot of Disney music xD I listened to the whole Tarzan soundtrack for the first time and IT'S SO GOOD
Brandon and Derek Fiechter // I discovered these fairy tale/fantasy instrumentals on YouTube and it was PERFECT to listen to while writing Once Upon! Definitely look them up, they have a ton of amazing music. (They're on Spotify too!)

I've also been listening to Nadine Brandes' playlist for A Time to Die because um YES I NEED MUSIC TO MATCH THIS BOOK. I haven't quite made it through the whole playlist, but it's perfect. (There are also playlists for the rest of the series! And Fawkes! And Romanov! *heart eyes to all of it)

Oh and on that note: I GOT SPOTIFY PREMIUM. And WOW I'm loving it already! It's so much easier to make playlists than it is on YouTube, and there are no ads. xD










Aand that was my April! It was a good month, with a fantastic finale. I'm so ready to move on to May and see what it holds! I'm excited to keep writing (because I'm totally in a writing mood right now and I just want to plow through and write ALL THE THINGS), reading, praying, and growing. LET'S ROCK THIS MAY, GUYS.

How was your April?? Wrimos, what's the verdict on the first Camp NaNo of 2020? What's some music you've been enjoying lately?

18 comments:

  1. My sister is so bored and says that time is moving so slowly but I can't do everything in a day that I was planning to do! Ah! Where does it go!!

    Whoa! Congrats on finishing Once Upon! And with so many words!!! That's epic!!!

    I'm so glad that you had such a good month! I hope you have a great May, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeahh, time does have a tendency of getting away from us, doesn't it?

      Thank you so much! I wish you the same!

      Delete
  2. AHHHH CONGRATS AGAIN ON PUBLICATION!!!!! So happy for you *flails*

    And that book haul is AMAZING. I love it.

    I hope May is great! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHHH THANK YOUUU!! And I'm so happy that our stories are in the anthology together. :D <3

      Delete
  3. Hope you have an awesome May! I hope your collage goes well, I understand the feeling, I may be doing some collage this fall too.

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you too! Ooh, good luck with your college, too! :D

      Delete
  4. YOU FINISHED THE FIRST DRAFT OF ONCE UPON. AAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! GO EMILY. THAT IS SO EXCITINGGGG. YAYAYAYAYAY!!!! *THROWS ALL THE CONFETTI* That is just THRILLING. And how awesome you're still pumped for writing! What a wonderful feeling! :D Congrats again, and I hope Roots to Claim will go wonderfully!

    AND OF COURSE I MUST SCREAM MORE ABOUT YOU BEING IN THE HAVOK ANTHOLOGY BECAUSE EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! IT'S JUST THE BEST THING.

    So many exciting things, Emily!!!

    AND college soon? :O Wow. Sounds like you have a LOT going on! You are going to ROCK this college thing, girl. *fistpump* But I will absolutely be praying for you as you get ready to step into this new chapter of your life. *HUGS*

    I'm so glad April proved to be a good month for you! I hope May will be even BETTER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOUR EXCITEMENT MEANS SO MUCH AND JUST AAHHHHH THANK YOU <3 <3

      Your prayers are definitely appreciated! Thank you so much <3

      Delete
  5. AHHHHHH CONGRATS ON EVERYTHING, EMILY! CONGRATS ON HAVOK. CONGRATS ON ONCE UPON. THAT'S ALL SO AWESOME AND I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU.

    Speaking of cheap books, have you ever heard of ThriftBooks? It's this AMAZING site where you can buy used (and new, if you want, but mostly used) books for insanely good prices. Most books on there are priced between $4-5. Plus, shipping in the US is free if your order is over $10. I buy books from there all the time, and they have a really good selection (though they're a little light on self-published titles). If you've not tried it before, I'd 100% recommend it!

    Good luck with college!! I will be sending many good vibes your way. I finally picked my classes last week, too. What are you taking, and do you have any ideas about what you might major in yet?

    OKAY WAIT this is such a specific thing to have in common but YES THE FIECHTERS' MUSIC IS QUITE GOOD. I love how specifically-themed their albums are; it makes it so easy to find what you're looking for. The Candlelight Tales and Camelot albums are probably my favorites.

    I didn't do Camp because, you know, last month of the spring semester, much chaos. HOWEVER, something that did happen this month in my writing life that I'm really excited about is I wrote every single day. For the first time since like . . . middle school, maybe, if not ever. My total word count wasn't as high as other months so far this year, but I put something down on the page every day, which I'm still really proud of. For me personally in my writing journey right now, training my brain to have the discipline to write every day is more critical than the exact number of words. I might be able to do Camp in July, though, for the first time in like . . . four years? So I'm looking forward to that!

    Have a great May <3

    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH THANK YOU :D :D

      Oooh, I don't think I have heard of that before! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing! :D

      Thank you! I'm majoring in business management, and I'll be taking macroeconomics, psychology, English comp, history, and public speaking (eek)! What about you? :D

      YES I'm so glad I discovered their music!! I don't think I've listened to the ones you mentioned yet, but I'll definitely make my way there because everything I've listened to so far is just so good. Excellent writing music!

      Ahh, understandable! But that's amazing that you wrote every day!! Yesss, sometimes just forming the habit is more valuable than word count. I'm so glad you were able to do that! :D

      Thank you, Eleanor! You too!

      Delete
    2. I'm majoring in public health, so I'll be taking epidemiology, health + environment, and international nutrition, and then for fun, medieval lit and anthropology of Africa. (I might be minoring in English and/or sociocultural anth, we'll see what I have time for!) Good luck with all your classes, especially public speaking, that sounds nerve-wracking! But I bet you'll do well :)

      Delete
  6. Aw I'm glad April was great for you! Have a great May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you have a great May as well! :D

      Delete
  7. Not read any Jill Williamson books??? You MUST read Blood of Kings, it is AMAZING.

    College stuff is indeed real. O_O But God's got us <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOWWW THIS MUST CHANGE ASAP. YES I want to read Blood of Kings SO BAD!!

      INDEED. But yes, He's totally got this and I'm so thankful I'm not alone on this journey!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on finishing your first draft, that's always the most amazing feeling!! It's such a huge accomplishment too. Ahh and being in a book with Jill Williamson is so cool! *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's the BEST feeling isn't it? :D

      AHH I know I still can't believe it!! Thank you! :D

      Delete
  9. I want to read Unblemished and Dust so much! Can't wait to hear what you think of both!

    Oh, wow, college! That is exciting! Definitely will be praying that everything goes smoothly with that!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete