Saturday, May 9, 2020

THIEVES, TREES, AND PROPHECIES // A LOOK AT MY CURRENT WIP!


CAMP NANO IS OVER.

yeah it has been for a hot minute emily where have you been

Which means: IT'S TIME FOR A NEW WRITING PROJECT.

Which means: IT'S TIME TO YELL ABOUT MY NEW WRITING PROJECT.

Okay, it's not actually a new writing project. But until about a week ago, I hadn't touched since I finished drafting it back in April of LAST year. And I was SO ready to get back to it!

And today, I'm going to share a bit about my WIP, Roots to Claim (working title), with you guys! (in typical Emily fashion- rambly and unorganized! *sarcastic cheers*) I have talked about this story before, mostly during November 2018 when I was first writing it. BUT talking about my stories always seems to be motivating, so why not?

Sooo, get ready for some character introductions, aesthetics, and a playlist.

Aaand we jump right into the messiness. XD

(all the following images are from pinterest and are not miiine)

First things first I'mma say all the words inside my head: what is Roots to Claim about?

Well, simply put, it's about Archlan. And just who is Archlan?


Archlan has been a thief his whole life; the family business, y'know. His parents, also thieves, raised him that way, and when he met his girlfriend he started hanging with her group: a band of thieves known as the Jays. Archlan's always had trouble with belonging, and he desperately wants to feel a part of something. What he wants most at the beginning of the story is to become an official member of the Jays and finally have someplace where he feels at home.

When he's told that he is the hero prophesied to save the world from a great evil (ooh, mysterious), his dream is uprooted (HA).

Especially when the trees start talking to him.

arrows // quickening heartbeat // voices // creaking trees // regret // just want to belong // why is this happening to me // tears // too much power // so desperate for a breath




Someone give this boy a hug, please.

THE SETTING

(currently unnamed fantasy world)


forest everywhere // scattered little villages // magic that comes from the roots of the trees

KENNET


Kennet is the Crazy Wizard Hermit Man Who Everyone Fears. (Not really a wizard, but you get the idea.) He lives secluded in a castle, where he basically sits around all the time and soaks up magic so that he can do crazy things like uncover prophecies and see the future.

silence // dusty sunbeams coming through picture windows // magic // wish I didn't know // wish it wasn't true 




QUINARD


lonely days riding from village to village // lute case full of coins // bright smile, dark mind, sad songs // loyalty // ache deep inside


All I have to say about Quinard is that he's the Sam to Archlan's Frodo and I can't deal with it. If you want to read more about him, you can do that HERE!

PLAYLIST



(always growing!! if you have any suggestions based on these songs, feel free to share!)

This is one of my favorite playlists I've put together for a story. It's also for sure the most emotional because, lol, this is THE most emotional book I've even written.

Fun fact: there's a certain part of the book that I always picture in my head when I listen to Give Me A Sign, and AGGHHHH THE PAIN. It makes me want to cry. *locks self in room and wails*
BUT HAHA I DIDN'T SAY THAT. What pain? xD

ALL RIGHTY. And there we have it: a complete mess of aesthetics and an extremely vague idea of what Roots to Claim is about. xD (Also, for the record, there ARE more characters than this. But these are the main ones I can share about because even I don't really know the others that well as of right now. xD)

But I hope you enjoyed getting a taste of Archlan's world! I love this story and I'm so happy to be working on it and spending time with these characters again. I just need to get my emotions ready because HA they're about to go on a ride.

Also, can I just talk for a minute about how WEIRD it is to be editing/rewriting?? This hasn't happened in YEAARRRS for me. YEARS. Like, since the first book I wrote at age 9. Hehe. I mean, that book went through various stages in more recent years and got rewritten several times, but STILL a looong time ago. I LITERALLY HAVEN'T REACHED THE ACTUAL SECOND DRAFT OF A BOOK SINCE ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE KNOWN ME.

So, yeah. It's super weird and super exciting to be in this stage again. And I can't wait to finish this draft and see what it looks like. (because the thought of getting to the beta reader stage is ridiculously unreal and ahhh IT'S JUST SO EXCITING GUYS)

Okay, I'll stop rambling now. xD

So, did you enjoy this little peek into Roots to Claim? Who do you think your favorite character would be? What stage is your current WIP in?



26 comments:

  1. THIS LOOKS SO GOOD OH MY WORD. Archlan sounds INCREDIBLE and I want to meet him ASAP. XD

    And THOSE AESTHETICS!!! (also, just you describing Quinard as the Sam to Archlan's Frodo makes me extremely happy and love Quinard XD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! Hehe, I'm glad you like him! ;D (AND QUINARD/ARCHLAN ARE HEARTBREAKING JUST LIKE SAM/FRODO LOL GOOD TIMES)

      Delete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS
    OH MY GOODNESS
    THIS SOUNDS SO AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

    I loooOOOOooooove the idea of magic in the trees. UM. YES. YESSSS. And Archlan sounds like SUCH a spectacular protagonist (who definitely needs a hug). And, oh gracious, I ADORE thieves! I don't know why, but I have this weird obsession with thieves. I mean, in fiction. XD Also, am I seeing an epic brotp with Archlan and Quinard??? This has so many things I love!

    THIS LOOKS SO GOOOOOOD. AAAHHHHHH!!!! Thank you for sharing! So excited about this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASDFGHJKL THANK YOU!! EEP.

      "I mean, in fiction." Well it's good to know that you are indeed not obsessed with real-life thieves because that would be a bit concerning. XD And YES you are absolutely seeing a (hopefully) epic brotp. I LOVE MY BOYS.

      AAHHHH THANK YOU SO MUCH <3

      Delete
  3. Looks like a really neat story!!!! Love it!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOUR PLAYLIST LOOKS SO GOOD YOU HAVE EXCELLENT TASTE IN MUSIC.

    And ahhh, the editing + rewriting phase is always my favorite part of writing!! I'm very excited you've arrived here :) Can't wait to hear more updates on this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! :D

      I actually love this stage too! I know so many people hate editing, but I've always liked it. xD

      Aw, thanks! I plan to keep y'all updated, have no fear. ;D

      Delete
  5. Liam Neeson as a prophetic magic sponge is basically the thing I needed today.

    Also, I love stories about people trying to find a place to belong!!! One of my most favorite tropes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD XD

      Thank you! Yess it's such a good one! :D

      Delete
  6. This WIP looks so fascinating!! The title alone is intriguing :) Congrats on reaching the editing stage!

    Also, I've followed you on Spotify and all my playlists are open so feel free to raid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Haha, it's kind of funny because I've never really planned on keeping this title... but I've had a few people tell me they love it. xD

      Oh, awesome! I'll definitely be raiding. ;D

      Delete
  7. My mouth literally dropped open reading your description of Archlan! Ooh, this sounds so good! And I know most of those songs already, so your playlist has already killed me. This is going to be a fantastic story!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW THAT MAKES ME SO HAPPY. It makes me so happy that everyone likes Archlan so much already. :'D

      Yes, this playlist for sure kills me as well. xD Thank you!!

      Delete
    2. Lol I just realized I said "it makes me so happy" twice in a row. Oh well. xD

      Delete
  8. MAGIC FROM THE ROOTS OF TREES?? OH MY WORD I LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHATTT??????!!! FRIEND WRITE THIS BOOK ASAP IT LOOKS AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY GOODNESS THANK YOU SO MUCH. <3 I'm working on it XD

      Delete
  10. This sounds like a fun story! I love the aesthetics. I’m about to be in the editing stage next week for the gazillionth time for this book lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Ooh, that's awesome. You've got this :D

      Delete
  11. This sounds so good!! I love Archlan already! And I love all the cool aesthetics and the whole idea of magic coming from the trees and the trees talking to him and prophesies... I just love all of it haha <3

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you like Archlan! :D

      Delete
  12. This. Sounds. EPIC!!!! I need these characters in my life, holy cow. <333 Especially Quinard. He's already my favorite. XD

    ReplyDelete