Friday, October 11, 2019

Introducing My 2019 NaNoWriMo Project! (Know the Novel Part One!)

So. NaNoWriMo may be like twenty days away and I may be freaking out JUST A BIT.
OR A LOT.

NANOWRIMO IS LIKE TWENTY DAYS AWAY!!

Which means that we writers are now in full-on panic-and-plan mode. Y'know, just the normal November routine. honestly though why do we put ourselves through this

I can't believe it's been almost a year since I started my last NaNo novel, Roots to Claim! I'm actually getting kind of nostalgic thinking back on it, and missing my boys Quinard and Archlan.

BUT I shall not focus on that today! Today I introduce you to my 2019 NaNo novel, Once Upon. (This is just the placeholder title for now. It'll almost certainly change later.)


So, as you guys probably know, this isn't a completely new story to you. This year, I'm writing Trentley and Jynnia's story! Of course, it will be separated from the short stories I've already written for them and a lot of elements will be different. But the idea is the same: Trentley and Jynnia somehow stumble into various fairy tales and get into all sorts of trouble.

To introduce their new story, I'm participating in Know the Novel, a linkup by Christine!


Christine hosted Know the Novel last year, and I'm so happy it's back! It's a three-part linkup where you answer questions about your current WIP (whether it's for NaNo or not!). Aaand without any more rambling from me, here are my answers for Once Upon! (my transitions are so great xD)


1. What first sparked the idea for this novel? Arielle from The Fairy Tale Central hosts writing prompts based on the monthly fairy tale featured on FTC. I decided to write all my stories for these prompts using the same characters and connect each story. Pretty much immediately after that decision, I knew I wanted to write a book series using the ideas I got for a fairy tale-retelling type of story.

2. Share a blurb! Well. I'm afraid I can't really do that properly yet because I actually know so little about the story. Shameful, I know. But I'll share a vague, sort-of blurb:

Nobody believes in fairy tales. They're just stories written to entertain children before bed. Magic doesn't exist, either; it's just a fantasy to make those stories more exciting.

That's what Trentley and Jynnia think, before an unexpected turn of events lands them right in the middle of a very magical, very fairy tale-like situation. As time goes on, it becomes quite clear to them that magic did indeed exist once upon a time, and now it's their job to revive it.

Whew. That was pretty bad. But honestly, I just have so little to go on. xD

3. Where does the story take place? What are some of your favorite aspects about the setting? The story takes place in a (currently unnamed) fairy tale world-- where all the fairy tales happened in the past, and nobody believes in magic anymore. My favorite aspects? Well, I've always wanted to write a story set in a fairy tale-type world. My other stories take place in a world of my own creation, so while I'm obviously putting my own spin on this one, writing something in a traditional fairy tale setting is exciting.

4. Tell us about your protagonist(s). You guys already know them! But I'll tell you anyway. My protagonists are Trentley and Jynnia, a boyfriend and girlfriend who are thrown in the middle of all these fairy tale situations. Trentley's kind of quiet and reserved, while Jynnia is spunky and sassy. They're kind of my babies and I adore them a little bit.

5. Who (or what) is the antagonist? At this point I'm still in the very early stages of planning, so I don't have a specific villain yet. Actually, every book in the series might have a different villain, since they'll all be focusing on different fairy tales. Buut there WILL be a overreaching, driving magical force behind all the books that causes all the trouble they get into, so that could be considered the villain, I guess. Like I said, early stages. More later. xD

6. What excites you the most about this novel? The fairy tale aspect! That might be kind of a broad answer, but over the past few years I've really wanted to write a fairy tale retelling. I'm not sure if you would call these retellings, since the fairy tales have actually happened in this world; maybe rehappenings? ;) But I'm excited about working with all the wonderful fairy tales, and also getting to know Trentley and Jynnia better because I love them.

7. Is this going to be a series? standalone? something else? As you know, this will be a series! And I've never written a series before so I'm really excited and also terrified. :D

8. Are you plotting? pantsing? plansting? Always a planster! And my definition of that is planning, planning, planning until October 31 when I realize that I have not planned everything and then I'm forced to jump into November 1 with about 20% of the plan that I had hoped for. Although I'm really hoping I can be a bit more prepared this year.

9. Name a few things that makes this story unique. Well, I already talked a bit about the different twist on a fairy tale retelling. Instead of just infusing aspects from fairy tales into a new story, I'll be pulling the actual fairy tales from the past and throwing them into the middle of everything. (I explain things horribly and I sincerely apologize.) Also, a much smaller thing but something I like just the same, is that Trentley and Jynnia are already a couple when the story begins. In most stories you see the couple get together, and it's kind of refreshing when you can skip all that drama and be placed right in the middle of the relationship.

10. Share a fun “extra” of the story (a song or full playlist, some aesthetics, a collage, a Pinterest board, a map you’ve made, a special theme you’re going to incorporate, ANYTHING you want to share!). So I'm still working on the playlist, but I was listening to this one song I thought I might want to add and I realized DUDE. THIS SONG IS PERFECT FOR THIS STORY.


Obviously it has fairy tale elements in the story it tells, but the big thing that stood out to me is the "remember me" concept. My story is about people who have stopped believing in magic, and how Trentley and Jynnia rediscover it and try to restore it to their world. Is that perfect or what??

Also, here's Trentley and Jynnia's Pinterest board! https://www.pinterest.com/bookwieldingemily/the-adventures-of-trentley-and-jynnia/


Well, that's my story! Or at least a mostly vague overview. xD I could have waited to do this linkup until I knew more, but doing it now has gotten me more excited and motivated to plan this thing!
Wish me luck! :D

Are you doing NaNo? What are you writing about? AND CAN YOU BELIEVE IT'S SO CLOSE?? 


24 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Trently and Jynnia are getting their own series!! This is so exciting! Good luck on NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I'm so excited that you're writing a novel about them! I love your short stories so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited too! About the novel and about your excitement. xD Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. This. Sounds. AMAZING. I love fairy tales soooo much, so this sounds like just my kind of story. XD Lovely post, and good luck planning for NaNo!!! I'm quite behind on the prepping myself... *gulps*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's okay, we can be behind on the prepping together. :D

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh this sounds SO fun!!! I can't wait to hear more about this story, and join Trently and Jynnia on their adventures. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU DID THE LINKUP. AND TRENTLEY AND JYNNIA'S STORY IS BEING WRITTEN!!!! *SQUEALS* THIS IS A HAPPY DAY. And I love how you said they're "rehappenings" of fairy tales. That is a brilliant way of putting it! AAAHHHHH!!! I JUST LOVE THIS.

    Thank you for joining the linkup and sharing! I hope all the prepping goes great! (But seriously, how is NaNo so close???? *hyperventilates*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOUR ENTHUSIASM MEANS SO MUCH!! Thank you!!

      (NaNo is BREATHING DOWN OUR NECKS. Somebody push it back.)

      Delete
  6. *trips over self running to read this post* OH I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!! Trentley and Jynnia are such a fun couple and I love the ideas you've got going for your fairytale world!

    I didn't think the blurb was bad, lol. I like the idea of them having to revive magic; that'll be interesting. And also, I like that they're already in a relationship and we don't have to go through the whole awkward stages with them. I agree; that will be refreshing.

    Also, IVAN TORRENT!! This song is great (honestly, that whole album is downright amazing), so I'm thrilled to find someone else who enjoys his music!

    Also, I wanted to let you know that I tagged you for something! Feel totally free to ignore it if you don't want to, you've already done it, or don't have the time, whatever, but I thought I'd let you know! :) https://thessalexa.blogspot.com/2019/10/would-you-rather-tag-fandom-edition_10.html


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeeep thank you so much, Alexa!!

      Actually, you introduced me to that song on your blog. xD I hadn't even heard any of Ivan Torrent's other stuff until this week, but you're right, it's amazing!

      Thanks for the tag! I'll definitely be doing it sometime. :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, really?! That's so funny. I've posted so many songs, I don't even remember which ones I've done and which I haven't. :p But I'm glad I was able to introduce you to such a great one and that it works so well for your story!

      Delete
  7. I love the amount of fairy tale retellings I'm seeing as NaNo projects this year! It gives me hope that in a few years these will be flooding the market again and I'll be able to enjoy them to my hearts content.
    In case you haven't noticed, I like fairy tale retellings :D Yours looks awesome! And you're right, the main couple being together before the story is really unique. I like the angle of "staying together" rather than "Getting together". :)
    AND NO, I CAN'T BELIEVE ITS SO CLOSE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that would be amazing! I would for sure love for to see my story alongside all those others. :D

      Thank you! AND I KNOW, IT'S CRAZY!!

      Delete
  8. This sounds awesome, I love that your expanding this world into a book.
    Beautiful song too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy you're writing a book about these people. It will be amazing ... I get to beta read, right?

    MB> keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB> thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I'm happy that it makes YOU happy.
      Hey, whenever the time comes, I would love for you to beta read! ;D

      Delete
  10. Emily!!!

    I'm a VERY shameful follower, but maybe I can make up for it by screaming over this book!

    *insert 10 years of constant screaming*

    THIS SOUND AWESOME!! I love all the cliche breakers and everything and AHHH, it's SO neat!! :D

    Actually, I AM doing NaNo. My very FIRST NaNo, and I'm writing a WW2 Italian-setting Midas retelling. :) You can drop over to my blog if you'd like to get a bit more about it.

    GOOD LUCK WITH NANO, GIRL! You're going to rock this!! <3

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOUR SCREAMING MAKES ME SO HAPPY!!

      WHAT? WWII Midas retelling? That sounds amazing!! I'll definitely go read your blog post, because I NEED that story. xD

      THANK YOU!! Good luck to you, as well!

      Delete
  11. Ahhh! Emily, this sounds so FUN! I love that we're both writing a fairytale-ish story for NaNo. And "rehappenings"--ha, that's perfect. ;)

    It's also so refreshing that Trentley and Jynnia are ALREADY a couple. That... hardly ever happens in YA. o.O

    Your answer to #8, though. *cough* Now doesn't that just describe my own process right now... *glances at my half-empty plotting notebook*

    All the best with NaNo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, it's so funny how our stories are so similar. ;D

      HA! I'm literally so unprepared it's scary. xD

      Thanks, Tracey, you too!

      Delete
    2. It's the best. :D

      Heheh, saaaame. I've got MAYBE the first 25% of the plot in bullet points, with a couple of vague ideas for the ending. Good luck to both of us. XD

      <3

      Delete