Saturday, February 20, 2021

THE #FANTASYMONTH FANDOM TAG!



Happy Fantasy Month, everyone! Oh, you didn't know?... February is Fantasy Month. ;)


Okay, well, in case you didn't know... Jenelle Schmidt started February is Fantasy Month a few years back, and it's basically just a month-long celebration of all things fantasy. (I shamefully always forget about it until it rolls around... but I always try to do something to participate because of COURSE I'll take any chance to celebrate fantasy!)


This year there's a super fun tag called the Fantasy Fandom Tag, which you can do on Instagram, or your blog, or whatever! So, to join in the fun, I decided to answer these questions here. (Prepare yourself for ramblings because they're definitely on the way.) 


(Here's the original post, if you want to check it out for yourself!)




What was the first fandom you fell into?


Okay, this was kind of a tough question. I'm the youngest of four, so with three geeky older siblings I kind of feel like I was just always a part of all these fantasy worlds. Which makes it kind of hard to pinpoint what my first one was. 


BUT after thinking about it, I think I would have to say Power Rangers. My brother has been a big Power Rangers fan for as long as I can remember (as in, he literally was obsessed with it before I even existed), so I (and my sisters) just kind of naturally was, too. I remember waking up in the morning when I was really, really little and my brother would be watching one of two things on TV: Saved by the Bell or Power Rangers. And I ALWAYS hoped it was Power Rangers

So, while I loved Star Wars and superheroes and Disney and everything from the time I was practically a baby, I think Power Rangers would have to be the first thing I was really into full-force. (I mean... I've been told some of my first words were the names of two characters from the show. So.)


What is the most recent fandom you've become a part of?


Oooh. Probably Avatar: The Last Airbender? Honestly, I've only watched a few episodes as of right now. But I already love it and am very invested in where it will go from here. (MY CABBAGES)


Star Wars or Star Trek?


Star Wars!! I've actually never seen Star Trek. At all. Like, the TV show or the movies or anything. I'm not really sure why?? 


But Star Wars I've always loved. Luke Skywalker was the first love of my life. One of my earliest memories is of Attack of the Clones coming out. I used to love playing with my brother's action figures (on the rare occasions he actually let me. hah.) and would just spend hours looking at them. (but rarely touching. xD)




Marvel or DC?


*sigh*


Okay. 


This is a tricky question. 


My first superhero experiences were DC. I watched the animated series from the late 90s/early 2000s (Batman, Superman, Justice League Unlimited, etc.) and had my own Batman and Robin and Superman toys. I watched ten seasons of Smallville. Superman is still one of my favorite superheroes.


But Marvel is just... doing so much better than DC. Okay, I haven't actually seen any DC movies (other than the old Christopher Reeve Superman movies and Superman Returns... but that's it). But I think it goes without saying that Marvel's movies set the bar PRETTY. STINKING. HIGH and DC just... seems to have trouble getting there??? I know, I know, I shouldn't judge without having seen the DC movies. But... there's a reason Marvel's movies get huge and DC's flop, right??


So, for the sake of answering the question (she said, as if she hadn't already rambled for five minutes to avoid answering the question): Marvel. I mean, without it I never would have come to know my precious Avengers (and Captain America). But DC is what started it all. 


What is a fandom you love enough to want to live in that world?


Is this even a question? NARNIA, OF COURSE. Although: I would rather live there in the winter than in the spring. I know, I know, it was winter when Lucy first went through the wardrobe because the White Witch had cursed the whole land. And Mr. Tumnus said how wonderful Narnia was in the summer and I would assume Narnias probably preferred summer. But oh my GOODNESS, winter Narnia is just so MAGICAL! There is absolutely no other movie or book, no other fictional world that holds as much wonder and magic and longing as frozen, snow-covered, evergreen Narnia. 


This past week we got a TON of snow, and I just... found myself really aching to find a magic wardrobe and discover an enchanted land. *wistful sigh* I just can't express how much I wish I could live those moments Lucy did when she stepped through the wardrobe. When she met Mr. Tumnus and went to have tea with him... and then when her siblings followed... it's just so... I don't even know what. I could go on and on and never quite say what I'm feeling. (The movie The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is just so amazing and captures that magic SO PERFECTLY and just makes me feel all these things and want more than anything to find Narnia in all it snowy goodness and I just AHHH I can't handle it or think about it too long or I get sad xD)


If you could hang out with a character from one of your fandoms, who would it be and why?


Okay... what kind of question is this. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY CHARACTERS I WANT TO HANG OUT WITH???


Um... do I have to pick just ONE character? Or can I pick one character from EACH of my fandoms? *evil grin ;)* Okay, okay, I'll pick just one. And I think I'm going to go with Aslan. No, he's not exactly the kind of character you might expect as an answer to this question- someone you'd be pals with and have tons of fun together. But we all want an Aslan in our life, don't we??? A big, furry, majestic, talking lion who you can just hug and love and GAHHH. I want one. xD


Unknown fandom (something you love but nobody else seems to have heard of)


Actually, I think this answer is Power Rangers again! I think most people have heard of it, but I feel like most (non-superfan) people who have seen it didn't really watch past the old classic Mighty Morphin. But it's a great show overall, and at its best it's AMAZING. 

This is from my favorite season. SO GOOD.


Yes, it's cheesy and wild and sometimes goofy, but overall it's a great show and I would definitely recommend giving it a try if you get the chance. It's certainly not for everybody, but if you like fun, lighthearted superhero-ish stuff, you might just enjoy it more than you think. (And there are literally more than twenty seasons to choose from, so there's a good chance you'll find SOMETHING you like. xD I mean... there's even a magic-themed season!)

(I feel like anybody who hasn't heart of Power Rangers is reading this like "what the heck is she even talking about")


(Told you I was going to ramble. xD)

Okay, that was SUPER fun and a total trip down memory lane. I actually feel pretty nostalgic after this, thinking about early fandoms and characters I love and everything. If you want to participate in Fantasy Month, this tag is definitely a fun way to start!


I hope everyone's having a lovely weekend- and recovering from this past week of crazy weather! Like I said, we got tons of snow and. I. LOVED it. I've said recently that I'm ready for spring, but big snows like this have been so few and far between these past few years that it was so welcome. I honestly can't remember the last time we got a snow more than a few inches that didn't melt right away, but it's been so cold that it stuck around. And this time was just MAGICAL. It started snowing the evening of Valentine's Day and didn't stop until late Monday night. It was deeper than I remember seeing for years, too- at least eight inches, I think, and my Very Large dog was knee-high in it. It was great. xD (It's starting to melt now, which of course has to happen, but it's always so sad when it goes away and this time will be especially sad. *sigh*)


ANYWAY. Happy Saturday, friends! I'll see you in the comments! ♥


All right, let's talk fandoms!! Do you have a favorite fandom? Do you remember what your first one was? Are there any other Power Rangers fans in here?? Who else has gotten the equivalent of about three winters dumped on them in the past week? (And can anybody else understand my inexpressible feelings about Narnia??)

11 comments:

  1. YAAAAAY!!! You did the tag too! I LOVED seeing your answers!

    I think that's so fun Power Rangers was your first fandom! Though I've never really just sat down and watched it, I, too, have an older brother who had it on sometimes when I was really little, so I totally get where you're coming from! Big brothers are useful like that. I 100% blame him for ALL of my video game loves. I don't think I'd even like video games if not for him. XD He got me into a lot of shows and movies too! So yes. Siblings are great for dragging you into fandoms. ;D

    AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER!!! I'm so excited you're watching it and enjoying it. It's such a good show! And seriously just gets better and better.

    I 100% get where you're coming from with Narnia! YES. Even though I've always been more of a LOTR fan, there's just /something/ about the land of Narnia that brings on this yearning really no other fantasy achieves. Lewis was a true genius. And ALSO. I definitely want to visit Narnia in the winter! Snow is such a magical thing, and couple that with the enchantment of Narnia and just !!! There are no words. There really aren't. It's such a special place. <3 Also hanging out with Aslan would be the most amazing thing ever. 100% agreed. I guess Lewis set out to make us yearn for Heaven, and goodness did he achieve it! Reading Narnia makes me more excited about Heaven than really any other thing I've read. I repeat: Lewis was a genius!

    ANYWAYS. I adored your answers! SO SO MUCH. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, siblings are FANTASTIC for dragging you into fandoms. XD But I have my siblings to thank for getting into LOTR, Once Upon A Time, etc., so... I won't complain. ;D

      Yess I'm so excited to be watching it too!! And I think everyone says the same thing about it getting better so I'M SO READY TO GET FURTHER INTO IT AND SEE THE GOODNESS.

      YESS! Twins!! Narnia is just incredible! And like you said, snowy Narnia is just so much more magical. Ahhhh I love it so much. <3 And you're so right about Lewis making us long for heaven. When I listen to the song from the end of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie and think about what it means for us... it just gives me chills. <3

      Thank you so much!! <3

      Delete
  2. I grew up on Power Rangers too! My friend and I watched a bunch last year. Made me miss being a kid.
    Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHH really?? That's so cool! Have you seen many seasons? I'm very interested in how many other people have watched it in its entirety. XD

      Delete
  3. So fun to see your answers to this tag!

    Okay, so I've never *watched* Power Rangers, but I've heard about it from my dad, who (I believe?) watched them when he was young...he brings them up from time to time because my siblings and I make five, and he had a fun time assigning each of us a color and making obscure references that none of us understood. XD

    Oooh, same about Narnia! I mean, it's lovely in the summer, but winter Narnia is totally magical! We got a ton of snow this past week, too (yeah, like three winter's worth), and my family even has lampposts out in front of our house, so, lots of Narnia vibes. (But unfortunately, we don't have any wardrobes...)

    Aaah Aslan. He would definitely be amazing to hang out with. Like Christine said, Lewis definitely has a knack for making us yearn for Heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      OH MY GOODNESS. Your dad gets an A+ for that. I love it so much. xD That will be me with my children someday, honestly. XD

      Yesss winter Narnia is just an absolutely dream! And UM EXCUSE ME but you have LAMPPOSTS??? And it snowed?? OH MY GOODNESS. That's goals right there. I would have been taking so many pictures. xD

      Yesss, Aslan is amazing! And yeah, those stories are just so beautiful. <3

      Delete
  4. Narnia and LotR will always hold the number one place in my heart for fandoms, especially fantasy ones. They totally changed my life, especially my writing life, at a young age, and of course, they are each classic masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep watching Avatar! CABBAGES ARE ONLY THE BEGINNING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *crashes into fantasy land*

    Avatar is an AMAZING SHOW!!! I'm so glad you're getting into it! It's one of my all-time favorites!

    STAR WARS. My favorite forever <3 (although Star Trek is also good, if you ever have an interest in watching it. I've only seen the newest movies with Chris Pine and a few of the Star Trek: Next Generation episodes, but those were all very good).

    I have a similar issue with DC vs. Marvel: my original superhero experiences are pretty much all DC, with the exception of the Tobey Maguire Spiderman movies. Yet Marvel right now? It's just the greatest set of superhero movies we have (before Infinity War and Endgame at least, haha. Those two are STILL destroying me).

    And Narnia. I wholeheartedly agree with that choice.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay you did the tag!!! Loved reading your answers.

    I now have a tiny confession I feel I ought to make... my brothers and I had a "Cool Dudes Club" when we were younger... and our sole purpose in life... was... um... how do I even... to kill Power Rangers. (Which we did by pretending any garbage we saw around the park across the street was a Power Ranger and we would pick it up with sticks and put it in the "Power Ranger Containment Units" (aka garbage cans). Uuum... I never felt bad about this before. But reading about your love for Power Rangers... erm... yeah.

    We loved VR Troopers. How hypocritical is THAT? LOL

    I am totally with you on wanting to go to Narnia in the winter! All the exact same reasons and thoughts and feelings on that. For sure. Winter Narnia captivated my soul as a kid, and still holds it.

    Luke Skywalker was my first love, as well. :)

    Okay, I totally agree that the DC movies have been crashing and burning. BUT... Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins is totally worth watching. Even if you watch no other DC movies ever (and I'm a weirdo who LOVED Batman V Superman) that one. That one you should watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, Avatar! I stalled out (accidentally) midway through Season 1, but I really want to get back to finishing it!

    And NARNIAAAA. ASLAN. SNOW. YES. <3333 Sometimes the fresh snow up here in the Canadian prairies looks downright Narnian. We've got the pines too. You should come visit. XD

    Also yes to the Marvel movies! (Although you already know my stance on that, haha.) So fun reading your answers, Emily!

    ReplyDelete