Saturday, May 29, 2021

IT'S YOUR STORY // how similar stories still have their own impact



Last week I told y'all that I recently watched/read The Hunger Games for the first time, and I shared all the uncanny similarities I noticed between them and the Out of Time series . In case you missed my post last week: 


- MC Girl goes to Scary Thing and has to figure out how to survive

-Girl's journey is broadcast across the country

-Potential love interest in Scary Place with her

-But other guy who is also possible love interest is back home watching her journey unfold

-Attacked by wolves

-Somebody loses a limb (book only, in THG's case)

-There's a little sidekick girl

-MC comes back at the end triumphant and super famous


(there were things throughout all three books of each trilogy, but the most similarities were in the first books.)


Crazy, huh? When I was watching the first THG movie, I was just floored by all the little details and bigger elements alike that the two books had in common. And these were all besides the obvious fact that they're both YA dystopians, too. 


So, yeah, the two books/series are ridiculously similar in some ways, almost enough that it could have been on purpose. But you know what struck me about this?


Both stories are still vastly different.


Even with so many aspects that these books shared, did I feel like I was experiencing the same story when I was watching THG? Not at all. Sure, it's a dystopian about a teenage girl rising above the odds to survive and eventually change her world. Sure, there were scary similarities. But still, A Time to Die was in no way a repeat of The Hunger Games


So, what does this mean, exactly? What point am I making? 


Even though two stories may be similar, they are still different stories written by different people. And because of that, they each matter in their own ways. They will hit the hearts of readers in different ways. They will do different things. Though the overall idea of the stories might be the same, and though they might share a crazy amount of similarities, they bring different things to the table. 


Writer, if you're worrying about your story being too similar to someone else's- stop. Especially if you're in the early stages of writing it. Chances are, it's not too similar to really matter. And even if it has as many similarities as ATTD and THG, or even more... you don't need to worry about that right now. 

Someday you might need to. Maybe when you're in the publishing process and your editor says that X concept needs to be tweaked because it's too close to something in a story that's already famous. But for right now, just write your story. Maybe that element that will need to change later is necessary right now to make your story what it will eventually become. Or maybe it will stay exactly the same and will forever bear a parallel to another well-established story. That's okay. That other story is not yours, and your story has something the other one doesn't. 


(obviously there are exception. if you're planning on naming your character katniss... I can tell you right now that's not going to work out. xD)



And I think that goes for similarities between your own stories, too. Everyone always talks about elements and tropes they tend to weave into their books, and... my characters are always in hiding, from either the villain or the authorities. xD I don't know why. It's certainly not intentional. But for whatever reason, my cast is always either outrunning whatever is that storyworld-equivalent of the cops, or hiding from the villain. I've wondered before if that's a problem- surely it's something people would notice one day if all my stories are published and out in the world- but I don't need to worry about that. Maybe eventually I'll need to rethink it, maybe I won't. But even if I didn't change them at all, they are all still very different stories. 



So, if you're discouraged because you don't think your story is original enough, or you think it's too similar to a famous movie or book- take heart. Keep writing. Whatever your story is meant to be, it will become that if you don't give up on it. Imagine if Nadine Brandes had noticed all the similarities between her story and The Hunger Games, and given up on writing it. A lot of people's lives would be different, because her books have impacted SO many lives in ways The Hunger Games hasn't. (And the other way around!) 


Write that story, friend. It's your story. The world needs it. And only you can write it the way you do. ♥


6 comments:

  1. Oh, girl, I ADORE this post!!! What a wonderful and important reminder. In a market with infinite books, it does feel so hard to seem original. But you're absolutely right in that EVERY story brings something different to the table, every story means something different to each person. I love The Hunger Games and the Out of Time series both, but they each impacting me in entirely different ways.

    We SHOULD just write the stories of our hearts, because someone out there may need OUR story, not someone else's.

    And I LOVED your point that our OWN stories can sometimes feel similar. Each of my books are vastly different AND YET they often have the same themes and familiar elements. I have worried about that for years, then I watched a class C.J. Redwine did during virtual Realm Makers last year. She talked about how it's GOOD to have similar things, because that falls under your brand umbrella. When people pickup your books, they expect certain things from you after all. They read your books because they LIKE the themes and elements your write about. Realizing that made me feel so, so much better about things!

    But the ultimate thing is exactly what you said! It all comes down to writing what you love. Telling the story YOU want to. That is the most important thing.

    I seriously cannot express how much I adore this post. Thank you so much for sharing such an important reminder! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!! It's so true, there are no original stories, and yet I can never read enough books anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! It's such a good point--even with the similarities, there are so many differences, beginning with theme and characterization and going on from there, and they hit SO DIFFERENTLY to the readers' hearts. We shouldn't worry about how similar or different our stories are from others'...we should worry about making them ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I saw your post about this on Instagram and loved that one too, especially since I'm currently writing a book that has a lot of similarities to stories like Firefly or Rook Di Goo. It's the whole crew of misfits on a space adventure. I love that trope so much and it was so fun to write, but in the back of my mind I was thinking of what if it's not original enough? So this post and your one on Instagram was super encouraging to me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWw, I love this post! It's funny that you mention this because I've been thinking about that a little as I return to my Cinderella retelling. I wasn't feeling too bad about it, but it had occurred to me that there are already a billion Cinderella retellings, does the market really need another one, etc. etc. So I'm glad you put this post out when you did! Right now, I'm just writing my story for me and a few others to read. And if it does make it any farther than that, there will be something unique in it that makes it special and worth writing beyond what's already been done.

    Thanks for the great post!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that two things can be similar or even have the same story like a retelling and still be so different from each other.

    ReplyDelete