Saturday, May 22, 2021

I MAKE MY RETURN // what I've been up to on hiatus!


Hiii everyone! I'm officially back from hiatus! *makes grand entrance*


So, I was gone a little longer than I said I would be. I only planned to be away for the month of April. Then the first Saturday in May came along and I realized I hadn't written my blog post. xD SO, I decided then and there to go ahead and extend my break a couple more weeks. That way I could finish out the semester with minimal stress. 


And I'm glad I did! I'm so thankful that these last few weeks of school have been (mostly) relaxed and easy... but also SUPER thankful they're over. ;) 


Since I've been gone for a little while, I thought I'd share some of what I've been up to these past couples months! (going back to March, since I didn't do a monthly recap for it) So, buckle in for longwinded randomness. xD (it's been a while, guys. I've got to catch up.)

So many great books, guys!! 


I finally read the Ravenwood Saga by Morgan Busse! I've been dying to read these for a while, especially since I received a signed set this past Christmas. And what a delightful adventure they were! Such beautiful fantasy stories with one of my favorite representations of the Light that I've ever seen. 


I finally got around to reading the third Havok anthology, Bingeworthy! These anthologies must just keep getting better, because I think I enjoy each one a little bit more! 


I read The Hunger Games! More on that later, though, because I only read the books after I watched the movies and I have Things to Say.


I'm also currently in the middle of a few books that I'm really enjoying! I'm reading Hidden Current by Sharon Hinck, an ARC of Shadow by Kara Swanson, and the Warriors Against the Storm anthology. I don't even know what I'm doing with all these books. Don't ask. xD 


Oh, speaking of books and not knowing what to do with them. I bought... an exorbitant amount of books on hiatus. Just take a peek up at the photo for this blog post and... yeah. xD That's not even all of them. #oops

I won Camp NaNoWriMo! 


And my experience was quite predictably Emily-like. Meaning, I went (sort of) strong for a little while, then dropped off partway through the month, then got to the last week (or, like, two days in this case) and panic-finished. But hey, it worked. xD


Not only did I reach my Camp goal of editing 25k, but I also finished my second draft!! Roots to Claim has now been very roughly edited, and my next step is another read-through with some major planning and figuring out what needs to change because let me tell you, there is a LOT. In fact, I started wondering during Camp if maybe this needed to be a duology. *facepalm* I'm pretty sure it wouldn't need to go further than that (though I DO love trilogies...), but I think there might just be too much I'm wanting to unpack to just be one story. This will hopefully be determined when I go through it a third time and take notes of what needs to be done. 


Something writerly I did that was very exciting but also extremely nervewracking was: I sent the first ten pages of Once Upon (Trentley and Jynnia's story!) off for my paid critique at Realm Makers! I'm looking forward to it, but also am lowkey panicking about having to sit down for thirty minutes with somebody and talk about my story. xD (That's every writer's dream AND worst nightmare, am I wrong??) Before sending them, I went back through and touched them up a bit, and HELLO. I am still VERY MUCH IN LOVE WITH TRENTLEY AND JYNNIA AND I ADORE THEM AND WANT TO ADOPT THEM. I'm planning on getting back to their story over the summer, and I am so excited because I love it so much. (I had my sister read over the beginning, which she'd never read before, and she said she already wants to see Trentley and Jynnia married. So, y'know. I'm doing something right.)


Aaand also related to writing, something huge happened in April, which was that the Realm Awards finalists were announced and I saw my name on the list. But I've already done no small amount of shrieking about that here, so if you're interested in me shrieking and haven't read it yet, go read that. xD


March 18- my birthday! I turned 23, with no shortage of sadness about aging out of my Taylor Swift year. Yes, I'm still sad about it. xD 


I posted a video on my YouTube channel!


We randomly got some snow? Like, 4 inchs?? On April 20th?? What even?? It only lasted a day and it didn't even get that cold, but let me tell you I was BAMBOOZLED. I THOUGHT THIS WAS SPRING. (y'all know I LOVE me some snow but. come on. xD)


I slipped on my stairs and landed like an anvil and I'm 98% sure I bruised my tailbone. TMI? I don't care. Y'all gotta suffer with me. xD (did you know it can take up to 4 weeks for a bruised tailbone to heal? eheheh. still feeling it not gonna lie.)


One day when I was driving home, I saw a coyote run across my driveway! Where I live, we hear coyotes howling some nights, but we haven't actually seen one since we moved in close to twenty years ago. So, yeah, I was pretty surprised when one ran out in front of my car and fled across our field. xD


There was a Starbucks opened near me!! Before this past week, I'd literally had Starbucks once in my life, in a mall, and let me tell you I was EXCITED for this. I have a goal to try everything on the menu. (which isn't going so great since I went there yesterday and they were out of cake pops. not cool, dude.) 


I finished my second semester of college! So VERY glad to be done with that, although honestly this semester wasn't too bad. Still, I'm very happy to have the whole summer off. 


I watched the 2003 Peter Pan movie for the first! It was so fun! :D Very much would like to go on an adventure to Neverland now. 

The cuties!!

And speaking of watching things for the first time...


-PLEASE HOLD FOR THIS BRIEF HUNGER GAMES INTERMISSION-


(lol don't hold your breath on that "brief" thing)


SO. Like I mentioned, I watched The Hunger Games for the first time! This was SO overdue, as I've been wanting to watch these movies FOREVER. I finally watched them all with my brother (who had already seen them), and whew. What a journey. Soon after, I read the books for the first time, too, which was good because I was sad to be done with the movies and I missed all the characters. Then I finished the books and got major book hangover. xD


*Peeta throws burnt bread to Katniss* 

Me: "He's a bad baker. He can only make pita bread."


Also, can we just pause to talk about all the uncanny similarities between THG and the Out of Time series?! Because I thought of a bunch after the first movie it kind of blew my mind. There were a few later on, too (was I reaching for them at that point? yes). This is all BESIDES just the general dystopian vibes. Allow me to share: (beware, spoilers for both trilogies ahead)


Book 1: 


- MC Girl goes to Scary Thing and has to figure out how to survive

-Girl's journey is broadcast across the country

-Potential love interest in Scary Place with her

-But other guy who is also possible love interest is back home watching her journey unfold

-Attacked by wolves

-Somebody loses a limb (book only, in THG's case)

-There's a little sidekick girl

-MC comes back at the end triumphant and super famous


Book 2:


-There's snow 

-I SAW A BOWL OF POTATOES IN CATCHING FIRE (look, I told you I was reaching)

-A group of people work together to survive in the wilderness

-HER HOMETOWN IS LITERALLY BLOWN UP. That was the real kicker. UNITY VILLAGE. DISTRICT 12. GONE.


Book 3:

-There's an underground community

-In the Mockingjay movie, THEY LITERALLY USE THE TERM "RADICALS" for the rebels

-Scary Thing that Girl faced in Book 1 is done away with



??? Anybody else seeing this??? Because I was astounded. xD


And how about another mind-blowing revelation- PEETA MELLARK SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUR MASCOT IN 2020. Why? Allow me to explain. 


-We felt like we were living in a YA dystopian

-Buying ramen noodles and toilet paper was like making a run for the Cornucopia

-And everyone learned how to bake bread??? And that's what everyone did all year??? THEREFORE. PEETA MELLARK 2020. TELL ME I'M WRONG. YOU CAN'T, BECAUSE I'M A GENIUS. 


The precious bread boy < 3



Aaand I think that's about all I've been up to lately! It's been quite a lovely break, but I missed posting and I'm glad to be back now! I'm working on my plans for this summer (mostly writing-related), and I can't wait to read ALLL the books.


I'm also planning to get back to making videos on my YouTube channel, so look for that as well! Until next week! ♥ 


HIII GUYS! What have you all been up to? Any big plans for the summer? And tell me I'm not the only one who sees the Hunger Games/Out of Time thing, because I'm still in awe. xD


10 comments:

  1. AAAAHHHHH WELCOME BACK! *glomps* I have missed you and your posts! But I'm glad you allowed yourself a good break. And EEP. Congrats on finishing your second semester of college!!!!

    I'm so excited you read and watched The Hunger Games! I NEVER get tired of those stories. Never. I've reread the books like 5 times. *hides face* They're just so goooood! And oooh, I never really thought about the comparisons of it and the Out of Time trilogy, but you're totally right! And hey, I won't complain. I love them both SO MUCH.

    And oh my WORD. Peeta is 2020's mascot! :O YOU'RE RIGHT. Brilliance! Also "Buying ramen noodles and toilet paper was like making a run for the Cornucopia" made me choke. Oh man, too funny. XDDD (And true.)

    So many congrats on winning Camp NaNo!!!!!!! *throws confetti* That's also so thrilling you sent the first ten pages of Once Upon in for a critique! Aaaahhhh I'm so proud of you!

    ACK. YOU SAW THE 2003 PETER PANNNN. That movie was my LIFE. Probably one of my most rewatched movies in existence, and still in my list of top 5 favorite movies of all time. The obsession is REAL. It's just so magical! *cries happy tears*

    Thank you so much for giving us an update on all that's been going on! I do hope you have a wonderful rest of May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!! <3

      The Hunger Games have definitely become some new favorites! Just so good. And right?? It was so strange how many similarities there were!

      Peeta is seriously just the PERFECT mascot, isn't he?? And yeah, I think we all have a little bit of an understanding of how the tributes felt now. XD

      Thank you!! The whole critique thing is definitely nervewracking, but I'm excited for it!

      Yesss, I loved Peter Pan! I already want to rewatch it because YES, it's so magical. <3

      Thank YOU for your lovely comment! Happy rest-of-May to you, too! <3

      Delete
  2. Yay! So good to have you back!!

    Wow, you DID buy a lot of books. XD Congrats, I guess? :)

    Oh, goodness, congratulations on winning Camp, and finishing your second draft! And wow, that was brave to send the beginning of your story for paid critique! I hope that goes well!

    Ooooffff a bruised tailbone sounds like NO FUN! I hope you feel better soon!

    I've never seen THG, but I have read it...the books weren't necessarily anything special (I mean, they were fun!) but I do want to watch the movie(s) at some point. It's true, there are so many similarities between THG and OOT! It's impressive that with that many similarities, they are SO different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Samantha!

      Yeah... I'm not proud of it. Or maybe I am? Who knows. XD

      Thank you!! I'm nervous/excited for it. ;D

      Definitely would not recommend. Be careful walking down stairs. XD

      Honestly, if I hadn't seen the movies first, I probably wouldn't have liked the books as much as I did. Of course, there's no way of knowing, but something about getting to know the characters on the screen first made me that much more attached to them and their stories on the page. You should definitely watch the movies! And YES. I thought of that too, how they're still so different even though they have so many things in common! It's actually really fascinating to me and something I want to talk about eventually, because it just shows how even though there are so many reused ideas and themes and tropes, every author brings something totally new and important to the table! I LOVE IT.

      Delete
  3. So glad your back!

    Looks like you got a ton of good books, love Inkspell.

    Congrats on winning Nano!! Hope your paid critique goes well.

    Love The Hunger Games. Peeta really should have been the mascot. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I've never read Inkspell, but I want to get the read of the series now!

      Thank you! :D

      Yes, he should have. I would like to go back in time and make it official, please and thank you. xD

      Delete
  4. ahhh, I'm so glad you had a great break from the blog! And did so many lovely things (and sorry about the painful things, tail bone, etc.).

    I love your Hunger Games spiel! I watched the movies first, too. I need to check out the Out of Time series now, ahah!

    thesocialporcupine.com
    thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! Congrats on winning Camp NaNo! Ooh, it looks like you got some good books!
    YAY, YOU SAW THE HUNGER GAMES! I....still haven't seen the movies, but I should, because I love the books.
    You're so right that Peeta is 2020's mascot. Also, "the precious bread boy." I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A paid critique for my babies Trentley and Jynnia???? Ack! Hope that goes well! <3

    My older sister absolutely loves the 2003 Peter Pan so she has made me watch it. I didn't love it, but I did love Peter's smile! Watching that GIF is making me fluttery. XD

    I've been wanting to get into The Hunger Games, too! Hmm, I'm even more intrigued now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratz on winning Camp Nano!!!! :D And EEEEP Critique at Realm Makers!! That sounds so exciting. I know you'll do amazing; your love for the story will spill over and you'll have the critiquer loving Trentley and Jynnia as much as we all do by the end!

    I had never made that 2020 and Peeta comparison, but I am ALL FOR IT!!! My precious boy <3 <3 <3


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete