Saturday, August 1, 2020

JULY 2020 // I'M BACK


I'M BACK!

Yep, my hiatus is over and it was lovely. Just taking a few weeks off from the stress of having a blog post written, formatted, and posted on time was just what I needed. 

BUT I'm happy to be back, and excited for the posts I have planned. First up: a look at what's been happening in my life while I was (semi)offline. 

I read three books this month: 

The Warden of the West March by M.L. Little // I got an ARC of this sequel to The Book of Secrets, which I reviewed HERE. I'll be reviewing WotWM soon, too, so I won't say much about it. But I definitely enjoyed it! (And psst, it releases in less than a week! Mark your calendars for August 6th!)

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie // I read this before, years ago, but I didn't remember much about it and after reading Dust, I really wanted to read it again. Wow, guys, Peter Pan is a little psycho child. xD 

The Crownless King by Kara Linaburg // *muffled screeching* Another much-anticipated ARC and HI just over here trying to recover. SUCH a beautiful story. I might review that on the blog, too, so stay tuned.

Overall, it was a great reading month! And all my ARCs/review books are officially behind me. For now. xD 

Camp NaNoWriMo, baby! 

Well, I'm not gonna lie, this Camp was a struggle. Usually during any NaNo event I try to write at least a little every day. (That 30-day-streak badge is so satisfying.) Well, pretty early on this month I decided not to make it a big deal... which is fine... but it turned into a month-long procrastination session. Oops. 

It's typical Camp fashion for me to drag my feet until about the last week of the month, then panic and realize how close the end is and lose my mind doing everything to make my word count. Well, this time was no exception. But I was a little worried there for a bit thinking I might not make it. I haven't "lost" a Camp yet and I didn't welcome the idea of starting now. xD BUT long story short emily you've already talked about this for two paragraphs how is this story short I powered through at the end and I MADE IT! I passed 30k on the last day of NaNo with an hour to spare. #whew

yeah... I'm a mess
(this is honestly a miracle because FOR SOME REASON I decided to do a healthy eating challenge for the month of July... which included drinking only water except on weekends. which means... no coffee five days out of the week. and no tea. during a NaNo month. WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE.)

Where does that put me in terms of book progress? Well, I edited/rewrote 30,000 words this month. Which, counting what I'd already done before Camp, means I'm about halfway through the book. And while I'd like to say my goal is to finish it by the end of August... well, that's probably not going to happen. So I'm going to shoot to finish it before November, when the craziness of NaNoWriMo starts. Ideally, I'll finish in September so I can spend October preparing for whatever project I end up doing in November. But we'll see.

Aaand a very exciting writing-related announcement: My story, The Hero of Parker City, was chosen for the Havok Season Three: Bingeworthy anthology!! 


I'm SUPER excited (pun partially intended; have you read The Hero of Parker City? ;)) and I still can't believe it's happening. I'm so honored and thankful to be a part of another Havok anthology and WOW I can't wait for release day. 

Anybody want to guess what my bullet journal theme for July was? Anyone?? No?? it's literally in header for this post


YEP, IT WAS CAPTAIN AMERICA. Because what else. And I had fun with this one. 

This page is in major need of updating xD But I kinda like how it turned out?



And on the Fourth of July I made this fruit pizza. 


And proceeded to play the Captain America theme music while I dramatically took it out of the refrigerator to present to my family. Because I'm just like that. xD


Remember a few months ago when I said COVID canceled some long-awaited plans of mine? Well, those plans were rescheduled, and they finally happened, and here is what they were: going to Cape Comic Con in Cape Girardeau, Missouri- and meeting Austin St. John, who played Jason in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers


I haven't talked about Power Rangers much here, but I grew up on it and it's one of my favorite things. So yeah, meeting the original Red Ranger was preettyyyy cool. 


On that same day, we took a little trip to Metropolis, Illinois. I've been there a few times before, but my mom was the only one in our family who'd never seen it, so since we were semi-close, we took her there for the afternoon. 


Usually when we go there, the Superman Celebration is happening. This year it was just a random day and it was really weird. I kept crossing streets without paying attention because I'd never been there when the roads were open and I kept forgetting this is an actual town. xD 

We also went across town to Fort Massac State Park, which is a cool place to visit. 


(and don't worry, we were safe all day! we wore masks when we went indoors anywhere, carried disinfectant with us, and used so much hand sanitizer it's not funny. xD *laughs anyway*)


Yeah... nothing to see here. 



So, July was a good month. And now I'm ready to blast into August because YOU KNOW WHAT? FALL IS SOON!! yes it's a month away but it's SOON And I am sooo ready! Excuse me while I spend the entirety of August preparing for sweaters, pumpkin spice, an excessive amount of coffee and tea, and *cough*NaNoWriMo*cough*. (Also, I started thinking about Lord of the Rings and realized I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to read the books this fall. Because for me cool weather and LOTR seems to go hand in hand and I just... I want to experience them together. xD But we'll see how that goes because deciding to read LOTR is QUITE the commitment. Anybody want to do a buddy reading? hehehe)

Also, just thought I'd mention, next time I do a monthly wrapup I'll officially be a college student. o.o So... yeahhhh.

Okay, wow, that was quite a long monthly wrapup post. I guess being away for a month left me with lots to say. xD If you made it this far, I have a question for y'all! As I mentioned last time, my blogaversary is coming up! (does anyone else struggle with the spelling of "blogaversary"?? because I'm not sure what the standard spelling is and I'm pretty sure I spell it differently every time. xD) And of course we have to celebrate. I'm leaning toward doing another Q&A, but if you guys have any other ideas, let me know! :D 

Aaand this post is finally over. xD Have some chocolate for finishing. Here's to a great August! 



18 comments:

  1. THAT CAPTAIN AMERICA BULLET JOURNAL SPREAD IS FANTASTIC. *fangirls forever*

    Congratulations on finishing Camp NaNo and on having another story published in a Havok anthology!!!! Those are both INCREDIBLE achievements. :D

    Have a fantastic August, Emily! (but fall's starting, so that's already a guarantee ;) ;) ) And another Q&A would be EPIC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!

      Eeep, thank you, Nicole!! <3 And yes, fall starting makes absolutely everything better. xD

      Delete
  2. Congrats on winning Camp Nanowrimo! I didn't finish my book, but I did get to my 50K word count goal (I actually hit 60K before the month was over).

    That's so fantastic that you're Comic Con trip got rescheduled! I would love to go to Metropolis Illinois, that sounds so fun, especially to get to go during the Superman Celebration. :b I'm also counting the days until Fall arrives. I'm so ready for Autumn!

    I hope you have a great August! :):)

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing!! SO MANY WORDS. :D Great job!!

      You should go, if you ever get the chance! It's a really neat place. And YESSS bring on the autumn!!

      You too, Melody! :D

      Delete
  3. Aaahhhh! *TACKLES* Welcome back!!! :D I'm so glad you had a lovely hiatus! I did too! It was so nice to step back and focus on some other things for a while, but it IS exciting to be back in the swing of things too. ^_^

    ALL the congrats to hitting your Camp NaNo goal!!!! Honestly, those stats are EPIC. I am so in awe at you pushing through and getting in ALL the words at the end. YOU'RE AMAZING!

    And another UBER MAJOR HUGE CONGRATS to making it into another Havok anthology! AAAHHHH!!! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!

    Your July Captain America spread is THE. BEST. I adore all the drawings!

    Oh wow, you met an original Power Ranger? THAT'S SO COOL! I never really watched the show, but my older brother had it on now and again when we were growing up. That is just AWESOME you met one of the actors! :D So glad that got re-scheduled and you got to go!

    More proof we're twins: the excitement that summer is ending and fall is arriving! Everyone is always obsessed with summer but no no. I hate summer with a burning passion. >.> Gimme alllll the cool weather! Sooo excited summer is winding down! One more month and MAYBE this horrid heat will calm itself down. One can hope!

    But ANYWAYS. I hope you have the most AMAZING August! I'm so glad you're back! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAHHH THANK YOU! Yes, I'm so glad we both had a good rest! :D

      Hehe there are a lot of words to describe my usual Camp stats and I can't say "epic" ever crossed my mind. xD Thank youu!! To, like, everything in this comment. You're so sweet. xD <33

      Yess, meeting a Power Ranger was fantastic! I never ever thought I'd get that opportunity. (And my brother introduced me to the show, too. ;D)

      Hehe YES FALL IS COMING AND WE WILL BE THRIVING. IT IS OUR SEASON. EXACTLY. Summer has its perks but everyone acts like it's just the best thing ever and I'm like EXCUSE ME. HAVE YOU MET FALL.

      I hope you have a fantastic August too, Christine! And I'm glad to BE back! <3

      Delete
  4. Great bullet journal set up! ;)

    Dude, I'm actually so impressed with your Camp NaNo progress! I got just a little over 1000 words. *cries* I hope to do more in these coming months, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D

      Aw man, I'm sorry you didn't make as much progress as you would have liked! But hey, 1000 words is still progress! :D And good luck in the next months! You can do it!

      Delete
  5. Yay, you're back! Good work on NaNo--that last week or two looks brutal! Also, your spreads are beautiful! *heart eyes* I just started a bullet journal (cuz you said I should give it a try :D) and it's super functional and I love using it, but it is extremely low on aesthetic value. XD

    YAAAAS I am SO excited for Fall! *whispers in case my family comes in* I actually don't like summer all that much? I mean, the things we do are fun, but the weather? Yech. I would be totally down for reading LOTR again, once it cools down!

    Have a great August! I hope starting college goes really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brutal is a perfect word to describe my Camp process. XD Thank you!! Oh my goodness, you started a bullet journal?? THAT IS SO AWESOME!! I'm so glad you're giving it a try. :D Hehe, hey, my first bullet journal attempts were far from aesthetic. xD

      Same!! I like swimming and vacations and things like that, but summer weather is gross. Sorry, warm weather lovers. I just can't get into it. xD Yess, I'm so excited about the idea of reading LOTR this fall!

      Thank you so much! I hope you have a great month, too! :D

      Delete
  6. Welcome back!! I'm glad you're hiatus went well!

    AHHH! Fort Massac! I stopped there last year on my way to Realm Makers. Jules and I stayed over in town and decided we wanted to stretch our legs a bit before hitting the road again. Seeing as it was just down the road, we decided to go and wander around for a bit. It was a very nice place to visit.

    Oh, a buddy read of LotR in the fall? I might be down for that. I've been needing to reread it anyway.

    Congrats on getting into another anthology!!! That's so exciting!!!!

    I hope August is a good month for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      Yess, I remember seeing the photos from that! It's a really cool place. :D

      YES I'm desperately in need of a LOTR reread!! And the more I talk about it the more excited (and intimidated) I get. XD

      Thank you so much!! :D Same to you!

      Delete
  7. Looks like super month. ;D That fruit pizza looks so good!!!!!!!
    Have a nice August!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty delicious... ;D Thank you, Rakayle! You, too!

      Delete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING PUBLISHED IN HAVOK AGAIN!! It is so exciting to watch your writing career flourish! :D

    I love your bullet journal! Captain America themes for the win!

    SO READY FOR FALL!! Like, I don't know that summer has even been that long, but I'm just made for cooler weather, haha. So I am also 100% ready for fall to begin!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! Aww, that's so sweet! <3

      Thank you! Yes to Captain America! ;)

      Same! Summer has actually felt pretty short to me?? But still. I'm ready for fall the moment fall ends every year, so. xD

      Delete
  9. I love the whole Captain America theme that's awesome! Also cool that you got to meet a Power Ranger. I'm going to spend the entirety of August preparing for fall too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :D Yes, that is how my August usually goes. xD

      Delete