Thursday, May 30, 2019

MAY 2019

May's almost over! Which is kind of crazy? But at the same time it kind of feels like it went by at a normal pace. Not too fast, not too slow. xD (obviously you guys only read my blog to get my opinions on the pace at which the months go by)

Unfortunately May being over means June is next, which means summer is almost here... although where I live it kind of already feels like summer? I don't hate summer, but I don't love it. BUT the good news is, since summer's almost here, that only leaves three more months until fall!!! xD (I think I've mentioned before that I love fall and start missing it the very second it's over. So that's my mindset about summer. xD)


READING

It was definitely a great reading month.

I finished the Remnants trilogy. Still didn't wow me (I don't know why, but they just didn't have that touch for me) but the last book was pretty good. My favorite thing about these books was the bond between the characters. They were all so close and brave and cared about each other so much. (Also, can I just say Bellona and Vidar? MY FAVORITES.)

Remember last month when I was talking about the first Remnants book and I said dystopian must not be for me?

Well... that's clearly not always the case because I read the first 2/3 of the Out of Time trilogy AND I ADORED IT!

I have been wanting to read these for so long. I'd heard they were amazing and I am not disappointed. I just started the third book and maaaan, they're great. (Review to come!)

My favorite book I read this month was A Time To Speak because it bRoOoOkE me. In the good way.


WRITING

This month I've been working on my NaNo novel Roots to Claim (yup, still that). And...

I...

FINISHED!


I started this story in November, so it took me about six and a half months to finish it. Although I didn't write in it much every month, so maybe more like three and a half months? xD Either way, I'm super happy because it's the first first draft I've finished in a while.

It came out with roughly 83k words. I already know the ending is going to change, but heck, the whole thing's probably going to have to change a ton. But I followed through, didn't skip any parts like I have in the past when writing first drafts, and got all the way to the end. Even if the entire story changes tomorrow, I still reached the end. :D

I also won second place in Melissa Gravitis' writing contest! If you haven't read my flash fiction piece yet, you can here-- and go read all the other winners too, because they're seriously so good!

Words written this month: 14578

I had no idea until I figured my word count for this post that I wrote almost as much this month as I did for Camp NaNo last month!! That's pretty cool. :D

MUSIC

I've been listening mostly to my playlist for Roots to Claim, which you can find here. Some of these songs, man, they give me chills when I think about them in relation to my story. Particularly Brother, Shed A Tear, and Give Me A Sign. GIVE ME A SIIIIGN, THOUGH. *cries*


Also, this technically came out last month, but I've been kind of addicted to ME! by Taylor Swift and Brendon Urie. xD It's just so catchy and peppy and has a super fun video  and yeah, it's silly but I've missed the more positive, fun stuff Taylor used to do. *shrugs*

LIFE

This month I went to the Arch in St. Louis to meet an old pen pal of mine!


We met online and started writing letters close to ten years ago. I hadn't talked to her in quite a while and then she texted me to say she was going to be in my state. We weren't sure it was going to work out, but about a week later we lined it up last minute. I left work early (always a plus) and my parents took me to St. Louis. (They basically dropped everything and whisked me up there. Which is
awesome.)

We didn't have time to do a lot more than just say hi and talk for a few minutes, but I was still so glad we got to do it! We were each other's first pen pals to meet in person.

I can't remember if I've brought this up yet? But I started a Bookstagram this month! You can follow me @bookwieldingemily.

Here's the latest picture of my child dog:

yes I know you wanted this you're welcome


BLOG

This month's blog posts:

http://theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com/2019/05/april-2019.html
http://theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com/2019/05/a-tower-and-fantasy-rapunzel-flash.html
http://theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com/2019/05/six-things-ive-learned-since-graduating.html

I've been blogging for nine months now, and blogging weekly for five months! Only three more months until my first blogaversary. :o

Overall, I had a good month and I'm SO happy I finished the first draft of Roots to Claim. As pumped as I was about writing and as much as I want to get started on Fall Into Time, I'm making myself take a few days off from writing first. Take some time to read and recharge. On June 1 I'm planning on going at FIT with a vengeance. Muahahaha.

I hope you guys had a good month and your writing projects/whatever you're working on is going great! Have a great June!

What did you do in May? Any plans for June/this summer? Oh, and share some recommendations with me for great writing music, or songs from your story's playlist!

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your story! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fall is my favorite season too! <3 so pretty. I love the colors.

    I'm so glad you loved the Out of Time series! I hope you're enjoying A Time to Rise ^_^ I loved book 2 best myself.

    Congrats on finishing your story, and I hope you have a FANTASTIC June! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is amazing! <3

      I am enjoying it so far! I think book 2 will be my favorite, though.

      Thank you! Same to you!

      Delete
  3. Umm, well, my bro's graduation was in May, so that was fun! ^^ I also prewrote all my June blog posts this month.

    And I've been super busy with work/writing/family/stomach health problems etc. It's been pretty crazy here. xD I'm tired.

    I'm glad you had a lovely month and got to visit your pen pal!!! How exciting!!!

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's great! I always wish I had the stuff to prewrite my blog posts but I never fail to end up writing them like two days before they go up. xD

      It does sound like you've been busy! Hope you're feeling better!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. AAAAHHHHH you read A Time To Die! (I don’t remember if you’ve read that before, but YAY!) And you can join the "I haven’t read the third one” Club!

    And congrats on finishing your story!! We now have both our NaNo rough drafts finally completed! *confetti*

    Hope you have an amazing June, Emily! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time!! And I won't be in that club much longer, sorry. ;D

      Thank you!! Took me long enough. xD

      I hope you do too! <3

      Delete
  5. What you've only been blogging 9 months??? Feels like longer. Also, St Louis is close to where I used to live—so neat you saw the arch. And you're so right .. June is so close, summer so close, which makes me sad because summer is already almost over. I wait all winter long, then get two months of bliss only to be forced to wait months more for it to come back ;p

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think so? It actually seems crazy to me that I've already been blogging almost a year!

      HAHA, you just described my relationship with fall in terms of your relationship with summer. xD

      Delete
  6. I actually really like ME! as well, it's just such an upbeat and fun song.

    Have a good June! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finishing a book is always awesome! Your pup is getting so cute, and whiter, or is that just me?
    May with busy for me. Hope June is good for you! I

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So awesome! And yes, he is! He's already lightened quite a bit since I got him.

      You too, Rakayle!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on finishing your book! I've been loving 'Me' lately too. Brendon and Taylor's voices are great together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I've never heard him sing anything else, but I really liked him in that song!

      Delete
  9. Congrats for finishing your draft! :D And that's so cool that you got to meet up with your friend. I've met several online friends in person and it's just so wonderful when you finally meet. ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on finishing your book!! How exciting! Love the pic of your pup too. :-)

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to both! I think he's pretty cute. ;)

      Delete