Thursday, May 23, 2019

Dragons, Time Travel, and Sass || or a look at my next writing project

Heyyy guys! So this week's post is a little different and kind of random, but I'm super excited to share it with you.

This week, I'm introducing you guys to my story Fall Into Time!



It's not a new story. I first started drafting it for NaNoWriMo in 2016. BUT this is the first time I'll really be telling you guys about it! And the reason I decided to write this post is that I'm ridiculously close to finishing draft one of last year's NaNo novel Roots to Claim that I won't stop talking about and Fall Into Time is my next goal to work on. So I thought I'd 1) get back into the groove of it by yelling about it and 2) introduce you guys to it since you'll probably be hearing me continue to yell about it in the near future.

I have no plans or outline for this post so it's probably going to be too long and rambly and make no sense at all but I'll just jump right into it. xD All pictures are from Pinterest.

FALL INTO TIME

(This title is not final, it's just a placeholder until I come up with something good. xD It really doesn't even make sense, I was just looking for something that had the word "time" in it and came up with that for some reason.)

So, basically Fall Into Time is about an almost-college graduate named Sophie Drake who gets sucked into the future and has to find her way back home. There's lots of sass, regret, mythical creatures (evil unicorns, anyone?), and there may or may not be a cyborg dragon who has more
personality than you and I do.

HAVE SOME AESTHETICS.


And here's the link to my Pinterest board, if you want to see more. There's not a lot to it, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. https://www.pinterest.com/bookwieldingemily/fall-into-time/

This story takes place in Alander. Alander is a fantasy world (I kind of maybe picture it as a planet? not too sure about some worldbuilding stuff yet) where people ride dragons and gryphons as commonly as we drive cars, everything runs on minerals from the earth rather than electricity, and a dude makes a mechanical dragon to take down unicorns. Basically I picture it as a fantasy world with
sci-fi elements. (Like time travel. Hehe.)

Aaand now I'd like to introduce you to Sophie Drake, my protagonist!


At the start of the story, Sophie is about to graduate college. (Or whatever the Alander equivalent of college is. I'm not really sure yet.) She likes to be in control and hates feeling like the passing of time is something she has no say over. At this point in her life, everything's changing too fast for her, and she's starting to fear what life may have for her tomorrow.

2023 isn't the actual year the story takes place... just the year I chose to keep track of time for now.

In the middle of all that lovely stuff, Sophie gets sucked twenty years into the future. So, that's fun.
Enter Asher I-can't-remember-if-I-gave-him-a-last-name-yet.


Sophie meets Asher in the future, because he accidentally brings her there. #rude

He's trying to figure out a way to time travel because he did something in the past that he seriously regrets and he doesn't think he can be happy until he fixes it.

Asher's smart, quirky, and lovable, although rather exasperating at times. He's also got a bit of a temper on him and tends to throw stuff when he gets mad. Behind his good-natured exterior he's deeply scarred by his decisions in the past.


Then there's Gemma.


The daughter of Sophie's best friend, she isn't born yet in the year Sophie lives, so it's a shock when Sophie meets her in the future. Gemma's selfless, loyal, and kind of ditzy. She's terrified of everything that starts happening around her when Sophie arrives (see dude below), but really wants to help Sophie so she tries to be brave and sticks with her.


Aaaand then there's Jax.


(this isn't exactly what he looks like, but you get the idea.)

Basically, Jax is a cyborg dragon with wayyyyy too much sass and a glitch that really gets on his nerves. He's actually super annoying and likes to burn holes in houses and stuff because he's #dramatic. His goal in life at the moment is to stop Asher from achieving time travel because it will keep Jax from ever having been created.

SNIPPETS

(keep in mind this is a first draft so these snippets are not perfect and some wording might be off or just plain bad but it will get better) (also these are not in order)






Okay, wow, so that was a lot of snippets and probably overkill. But it's fine. 

Also do you ever just go reading through your story and even though it might be a total mess you look at it and think "dude that's really good". xD

This story is still in the first draft stage. Yeah, I know. I've been working on it for almost three years and still haven't finished the first draft. If I've never mentioned it before, I reallyyy struggle with finishing first drafts. (Which is why I'm so stoked to be pages away from finishing Roots to Claim.)
I still have a lot of worldbuilding and character development to work on. I'm excited to get back into it! I love this story and my precious children and I've left them hanging way too long. (Poor Sophie's
been in the wrong year since November 2016...)

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed a sneak peek into Fall Into Time! Hopefully sometime in the next few months as I work on it, I'll come up with a better title. xD

Who do you think your favorite character from this story would be? Does Alander sound like a place you'd want to live? Do you have trouble finishing first drafts too, or does it come fairly easy for you? Chat with me!

21 comments:

  1. Whoa, this sounds totally awesome! I loved reading the snippets! Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. I hate time traveling stories. Because they mess with me so much - at least the GOOD ones do. And yours is already messing with me. Wow. This is brilliant and I have so many questions that can only be answered by me reading the book when it's done.
    I love the dragon.
    And Gemma sounds fun, too. As do the other characters ;)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much, Keturah! Hopefully one day you'll get to read it. ;D

      Delete
  3. *Doesn't even know you but screams anyway because this story is too good*

    *Dusts hands off* So, hi. Your blog is awesome. Your book is awesome. Everything is awesome. *Throws confetti*

    Asher has got to be my favorite. He's...something!! ^^ But they all sound so good!!!!

    Mmm, yeah. I wouldn't mind living there for a while!! ^^

    Depends, really. Sometimes I don't have time to ifnish the first draft, other times it's just hard, and still other times I zip through it like nothing flat.

    Anyway, I enjoyed exploring your blog and your posts!!!

    Can't wait for more updates!!! 😊

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind! Thank you so much! :'D

      Oh, I get that. Some stories it's so easy to just write and write and others feel like they drag on!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS BOOK SOUNDS INCREDIBLE, EMILY. ESPECIALLY ASHER AND JAX AND ALLLLLL THE CHARACTERS AHHHHHH.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds fantastic! Time travel is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, time travel stories are awesome!

      Delete
  7. Ah, sounds like a cool story! I think the name is unique. And yes I am a slow writer too! My first book to finish took 5 years to write the fist draft. The fastest I have written a story was in six months.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Ah, sounds like we have something in common. Only recently have I been able to write faster!

      Delete
  8. Oh I love the sound of Fall Into Time! You've combined time travel and fantasy which is honestly the best. :D *cheers you on to finish your drafts*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! That's part of what makes this story so fun to write, all the different aspects that normally wouldn't happen together. :D

      Delete
  9. OOOH, THIS SOUNDS SO EXCITING! I did enjoy that insight into Asher--and all of your characters! Especially Jax. His motivation is extremely understandable--which can't always be said for dragons, lol.

    Best of luck as you continue to work on it! This is definitely a story that has the potential to be incredible!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is actually a really interesting story :D I love the character names and the aesthetic you chose! I hope you get to finalize this because it sounds really great for real :) I used to write novels too but I sadly do not have time or the energy because school has sucked it out of me already #sad HAHAH best of luck with your novels <3

    Jillian @ Jillian's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Aw, that stinks! Maybe someday when you're not as busy you'll get to do it again. :)

      Delete
  11. This sounds great! I love cyborg dragons!

    Not knowing whether or not you've given a character a surname sounds like something I would do, thankfully I'm currently writing a story set in the middle ages and they wouldn't have HAD surnames. I mean, it's not like I'm accurate to my time period in any other way, but... XD

    And yes, I'm a very slow writer too, so I feel you. I wish I could write fast? But I don't know, maybe I just need to write at my own pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I forget things all the time. I keep way too many notes and they all get jumbled up together and I don't know which ones I've changed or scrapped. xD

      Absolutely, everyone writes at their own pace! Nothing wrong with being slower if that's what works best for you!

      Delete