Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Fantasy Favorites Tag!

Soo apparently there's this thing that Jenelle Schmidt started where February is fantasy month??? And I only heard about this like a week ago???

So, yeah, missed out on that. BUT I saw Christine and Nicole do this Fantasy Favorites Tag, and it looked ridiculously fun. So even though it's not technically Fantasy Month anymore, I just had to do the tag! Fantasy is my favorite genre (to read and write), and I just loved this tag from the moment I saw it.


THE RULES:

Thank the blogger who tagged you. Nobody technically tagged me, but Nicole mass-tagged everyone who read her post, so thank you Nicole. xD

Include the graphic somewhere in your post.

Answer the questions.

Tag a few blogger friends - and let them know they’ve been tagged!

All right, now that that's clear, let's get on with the tag!

What is your favorite fantasy book? ONE favorite fantasy book?? What is this cruelty?

I don't have one favorite fantasy book... I have two favorite fantasy series. Hehe. And those would be the good old faithfuls, Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings.

The Narnia books have just grown to mean so much more to me since the last time I read them. And Lord of the Rings just... UGH. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love that story. Even though I never thought I'd include those books in my favorites a few years ago (because of how long and heavy they are), I can't help it now. They're not easy reads, but they're just soo beautiful.

And, also, I have to add The Farwalker's Quest by Joni Sensel to this, because right now it's probably my favorite outside of the two I mentioned.

What is your favorite fantasy movie or TV show (or both!)? Umm probably Return of the King? Of course, I include the whole LOTR trilogy in that, but I think ROTK is my favorite out of the three.


And also The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I do love the other two Narnia movies as well, but this one is just the most magical and charming and... it's just amazing.

As for fantasy TV show, well, I've only really watched one. (I've watched some of Atlantis but I'm 
still lollygagging in the first season.) So, I have to say Once Upon A Time on this one. (I only watched up through season 4, but from what I've heard about the rest of it I don't think I missed out on much.)

Also, can I count H20: Just Add Water in this?? Because I ADORE that show.

Who is your favorite fantasy hero/heroine? Ugh. This is a hard one. I like Ariel in the Farwalker trilogy. She's so strong and brave, even though she's so young. Can I bunch all the Pevensie kids into one character and use that?? Oh, and Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit!

I CAN'T WITH THESE QUESTIONS.

Who is your favorite fantasy side-kick? Sam Gamgee. 

MY. HEART.
Who is your favorite fantasy villain? (the one you most love to hate?) I wrote a paragraph about some villains that I love and then realized that... I don't hate them. So they don't belong here. SO that being said, I believe my favorite love-to-hate villain would have to the White Witch from Narnia. She's so evil and despicable and manipulative.



What is your favorite fantasy sub-genre? I wasn't 100% sure how to answer this one, but I think it would be medieval fantasy.

What is your favorite thing about fantasy? So many things! I love how fantasy takes you into a whole different world and makes you love it and wish you could go there. There's just something so amazing and addictive about all the impossible things that can happen in fantasy, and reading or watching this world that you want so badly to be real.

What is your favorite fantasy realm? Oh, Narnia. Hands-down.


What is your favorite fantasy magic system? This is a really tough question and one I'm not sure about. I was trying to think of an outside-the-box answer, and I came up with The Shifter by Janice Hardy. Nya could take other people's pain away, but she had to pull it into her own body. Also, I love how the Silvertongues on Inkheart could make things come true by reading aloud.

This is a total cheat answer, because instead of giving you a favorite magic system I just told you a couple of random powers that I like. Oops.

Sell me a fantasy book! Have you written a fantasy book? Give me your best pitch for it! Have you read an exceptionally great fantasy book recently? Convince me to make it my next read! When I first saw this tag, this question immediately made me think of one of my favorite books that not many people have heard of: The Farwalker's Quest by Joni Sensel. Because I don't have to sell Lord of the Rings or Narnia (they're already known well enough!), so I wanted to use this opportunity to flail about this lesser-known book that I adore!

The Farwalker's Quest is the simple tale of Ariel, a young girl who is about to take the test that will determine whether she be named a Healtouch, her desired trade, or a Fool. But two mysterious strangers come to town and interrupt Ariel's whole life, tearing her away from her home and everything she ever knew. 


When I started reading this book, I expected a cute little fantasy story that might be pretty good. Instead I got my heart ripped out. I felt like I went through the story with Ariel, like my emotions went along with hers every step of her journey. The characters and the magic were fascinating, and I loved how every person has their own trade that they have to master. (And that includes talking to 
trees. I mean, how cool is that?)

The feeling of this book reminded me a lot of Lord of the Rings; in both stories, I feel close to the characters, as if I've gone through every trial with them. Their journeys make me emotional.

The best thing about this book is that when I reread it, I ACTUALLY ENJOYED IT EVEN MORE THAN I DID THE FIRST TIME. Which is crazy and possibly the only time that's ever happened. Even knowing exactly what was going to happen, I still couldn't wait to come home every day and get back into it. It was just that good.

Aaand that's the last question! I apologize for the abundance of LOTR and Narnia answers here... *shrugs* I'm predictable, I guess. But hey, now I need you guys to give me alllll the fantasy book recommendations because I love fantasy and I CLEARLY haven't read enough!! So throw me all your favorites!

And now for the tagging... I'm going to do the lazy, predictable thing and just tag EVERYONE to do this because why not? That's how I got it. I stole it. xD So if you want to do this tag, go ahead! Thanks for reading!

Got any fantasy recommendations? Share with me some of your favorite fantasy books so I can add them to my TBR!

6 comments:

  1. YAY, YOU STOLE IT! ;)

    Ooo, yeah, the White Witch is a great villain! And now I may have to read the Farwalker’s Quest. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I DID! ;)

      Thank you! Yes, definitely read it! It was such a nice surprise.

      Delete
  2. Fun tag!

    My favourite fantasy book is a series called Dragons in Our Midst. I love these books! The Farwalkers Quest looks good!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Ooh, thanks for sharing. I'll definitely check them out!

      Delete
  3. Never apologize for Narnia and LOTR answers! lol

    I too adore Narnia, and Sam Gamgee, and all 4 of the Pevensie kids! Fantasy is just so incredible, and beautiful and there's so much that can be done with it and so much those fictional characters can teach you.

    The Farwalker's Quest sounds really good! I'm going to have to check and see if my library has it.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're right ;)

      My gosh, it IS. There's absolutely nothing like it. <3

      Yay, my pitch is working. xD Hopefully you can find it, it's worth the read!

      Delete