Thursday, June 17, 2021

TEN OF THE SADDEST MOVIE SCENES EVER


Sad movie scenes. We hate them, we love them. They're the parts we dread when we sit down to watch
a movie, yet at the same time we have a morbid desire for a story to make us weep. 

Because apparently I have nothing better to talk about this week than heart-rending movie moments, today I'm sharing some of the scenes that I find the saddest- and maybe even make me cry. Grab your tissues, y'all, because let me tell you I almost teared up just writing parts of this. xD (not to be confused with the times I rewatched some of these scenes on YouTube, wherein I DID cry)

Spoiler alerts! Just in case any of you guys haven't seen the scenes I'll be talking about, here the movies I'm referencing: 

-Cinderella (2015)
-The Amazing Spider-man 2
-Return of the King
-Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron
-Black Beauty (1994)
-Tinker Bell and the Legend of the Neverbeast
-The Lion King
-Avengers: Infinity War
-The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
-Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
-Up
-Bridge to Terabithia
-The Hunger Games
-Tangled

(Each movie is listed in bold before every spoiler, so feel free to just skip to the next one. Be warned, though: there are some spoilerish gifs.) 


CINDERELLA (2015) - The branch

This scene just breaks my heart. Ella runs to the door all excited because she thinks she's about to get a letter from her father who's away, but instead... she receives the news that he's died. 

But the part that gets me is when the man delivering the news gives her the gift she requested of her father back when he left- the first branch that brushed his shoulder on his travels. When she asked for this odd gift, she said she wanted it because it would mean that when it came back to her, he would be with it. 

Now, she silently mourns her father while trying to appear strong, while her stepsisters are only mourning the lace and parisols they didn't get, and just like that, her life starts to slowly crumble. 

Excuse me while I weep for Ella because :( The poor precious girl. (Honestly, the first good bit of this movie makes me want to cry because I just feel so bad for her.)


THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 - The clocktower

Peter spends this whole movie trying to protect Gwen, trying to keep her out of his superhero endeavors because he doesn't want her hurt. He already feels responsible for her father's death, and he desperately wants to keep the same from happening to Gwen. Before the fight with Harry at the end, he even webs Gwen's hand to a car to keep her from following him. But she ends up following him anyway, and... well, you know what happens next. 

It's so close. It seems like Peter's web catches her just in the nick of time, but... he's a breath too late, and he can't save her. 

This is so heartbreaking to me, because Peter tried SO hard to protect Gwen. I don't recall a moment in this movie where he does anything to put her in danger; usually in a movie I feel the death would somehow have ended up being his fault, even after all his previous efforts to protect her... but he really did do his best. In the end, it was her choice to follow him, but that doesn't keep him from feeling guilty. This scene feels so realistic (other than the whole, you know, superhero thing), which adds to the sadness of it. And Peter's reaction just... *sniffles* SO sad.


RETURN OF THE KING - "...here at the end of all things"

Don't be fooled, there are MANY more than just one moment in this movie that rip my heart out. But this one... oh man. When Frodo and Sam are on the rock in the lava after destroying the Ring, and they start talking about the Shire... oh. my. goodness. I'm literally about to die typing this because IT'S JUST SO SAAAAD. These poor precious little hobbits having just been through SO much, and now they're longing for home, but they know that they won't be returning... *insert ugly cry here* And for some reason, the part that REALLY gets me here is when Sam mentions Rosie and says, "If ever I was to marry someone, it would've been her. It would've been her!"

SAM MY POOR SAD BOY. *CRIES* I LITERALLY CAN'T STAND IT. PLEASE SEND A STRETCHER BECAUSE I AM DEAD. 


SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON - "You Can't Take Me"

I think this was the first movie that ever made me cry. Not the first time I watched it, but now I always tear up during this part, when Spirit is being dragged away from his herd by the cowboys. The music, Spirit's desperation to escape... and then his friend the eagle swoops down looking so sad and concerned and... I just can't. IT'S SO SAD, GUYS. probably gonna go cry myself to sleep now HOW did they make me feel so much emotion over an animated horse??

Honestly, this whole movie makes me want to cry, but it's mostly just nostalgia. xD


BLACK BEAUTY (1994) - Ginger

This is another one that's pretty sad all the way through. Even the non-heartbreaking parts are a bittersweet kind of sad, as you see Black Beauty going from home to home and you just want to see him find a forever family and be happy. The part when Ginger leaves to go to a new home is sad enough.

But then you get to the scene when Black Beauty sees Ginger in the packed city, and she's overworked and sad and mistreated and nothing but a shell of the vibrant friend he used to know. Again, I don't know how they had any business making me feel this way over a horse, but my GOODNESS. Seeing his old friend in her condition, and remembering how she used to be... and then later seeing her body... it's just so awful.

(listen, I was doing okay and then I remembered the part at the end of the movie when Black Beauty is reminiscing, and goes back to the golden days when he and Ginger and Merrylegs were together and happy and life was good... actual tears in my eyes. not okay.)


TINKER BELL AND THE LEGEND OF THE NEVERBEAST - Gruff's goodbye

I never thought I'd put a Tinker Bell movie on a list like this... but the end of this movie, where Fawn and the fairies are getting the Neverbeast ready for his thousand-year sleep... my goodness. I do believe I just about teared up when I watched it. It was so bittersweet, seeing all the fairies tenderly tucking Gruff in, so to speak, knowing that they would never see him again. It honestly felt like saying goodbye to a pet who has died, and since I've been through that multiple times, perhaps that's why it struck my heart so deeply.


THE LION KING - The stampede

Do I even need to explain? 

I'm pretty sure this movie caused trauma in many children's movie-watching experience back the in the day. I couldn't NOT include it on this list. Funnily enough, I don't really cry during THIS scene (though I cry for like half of the rest of the movie xD)... but the rest of the parts that make me emotional are BECAUSE of this scene. When Simba sings "I Just Can't Wait to be King", it saddens me because he doesn't realize what he's saying- to be king he has to lose his father- and because he doesn't realize that he'll be losing his father much sooner than he ever thought he would. 

(This movie is just so beautiful. It literally gets better every time I watch it.)


INFINITY WAR - The dusting

Again... do I really have to explain? 

I could really bunch this scene into the first part of Endgame, because it all just tore me up. When it was revealed that five years had passed... O_O Excuse me, but you are not allowed to play with my heart like this. 


THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA- THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER - Coming home

Prince Caspian almost made this list, too. (the song along makes it worthy my goodness) But for me, the ending of Dawn Treader edges out a bit in the way of sadness. Because even though we've already been through it once with Peter and Susan leaving Narnia for good... Lucy and Edmund having to say goodbye is so much worse. The goodbye scene is heartbreaking- leaving Reepicheep, and Caspian, and Aslan. But then when they're back in their room, and the water is all gone, and the painting is still... and you see the sad, sad looks on their faces... *deep breath* It's just... so sad. Seeing Peter and Susan have to leave is terrible (especially knowing what happens with Susan later), but there's just something so wrong about knowing that Lucy can't go back. 

The fact that this was the last movie just makes this worse. Even if they make more movies later, it will just never be the same. (and yes I will forever be bitter about this)


STAR WARS REVENGE OF THE SITH - Order 66

*sniffles*

This whole MOVIE could be on this list. Watching Obi-Wan and Anakin's friendship slowly fall apart- seeing Anakin fall completely apart while Padme helplessly watches- it's just so heartbreaking. But I had to pick one specific moment to go on this list, and I think Order 66 is a big one. When Obi-Wan and Commander Cody are talking like friends, and then Obi-Wan leaves and the Empereror initiates Order 66... and then everything turns. Everything's downhill from there. The clone troopers that were allies literally seconds ago are suddenly enemies, and the Jedi are about to be vanquished. Obi-Wan barely escapes in time, and you know he'll never be the same after that. 


HONORABLE MENTIONS

These honorable mentions aren't necessarily any less sad. But for me, personally, they maybe just didn't have quite the same effect as some of the others on the list, or I haven't seen them as much as others so I haven't had my heart ripped out by them quite as many times. Enjoy. xD

UP - Ellie

No explanation necessary. Every Pixar fan in the world knows how heartbreaking this is. 

BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA - Leslie

I've only seen this movie once, but I remember how truly heartbreaking this death was. The whole movie was so much different from what I expected it to be, and I certainly didn't expect it to end the way it did. 

TANGLED - "You were my new dream"

OKAY TANGLED BEING AN HONORABLE MENTION ON ANY LIST SEEMS WRONG TO ME, I KNOW. BUT I guess simply because we know that Flynn actually survives, this part doesn't hit QUITE as hard as it could have. BUT IT STILL HITS PLENTY HARD, DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME. The "You were my new dream"?? TEARS. UGH. 

THE HUNGER GAMES - Rue

There are so many deaths in The Hunger Games, and it seems obvious that Rue's would be on a list of sad scenes. I think what makes it so sad is the way it affects Katniss. She knows how awful the Hunger Games are; she knows how tragic it is that twelve-year-old CHILDREN are slaughtered every year for the Capitol's entertainment. But what makes this scene so heartbreaking is that it's like it really hits home for Katniss. She's right there, in the middle of it; she sees an innocent young girl murdered in cold blood right before her eyes. She realizes it could have been her sister. And here she is, out here in the wilderness, trying to protect her family, and she feels so helpless and vulnerable. *hugs my poor Katniss*

RETURN OF THE KING - The Grey Havens

BY NO MEANS. BY NOOO MEANS is this an honorable mention because it's any less sad than literally ANYTHING else on this list. When Frodo leaves the Shire (leaves SAM NOO) to go the Grey Havens... and Into the West starts playing... I... I... I... 

-please hold while emily reloads-

Yeah. This scene is plenty sad enough. I only put it on the honorable mentions for the sake of not having two scenes from the same movie on the official list. xD 


Well, guys, have I got you sufficiently depressed yet? Because I sort of feel that way, after coming up with all these scenes and then writing a post about it. xD Also, the number of times I used the word "heartbreaking" in this post is ridiculous and I'm sorry. Ehehe.

ALSO, you've probably noticed- It's Thursday! I mean, obviously. BUT I'm actually going to be posting on Thursdays from now on, instead of Saturdays. I've been posting on Saturdays for a while now, but I really prefer posting in the morning, and most of the time I end up procrastinating and getting the post up either Saturday evening or Sunday morning. I finally realized, hey, this isn't working, so I'm changing it up. xD (I started out on this blog posting on Thursdays, and honestly it feels a bit like coming home.)

You might also have noticed that my URL changed! Keep an eye for some more changes around here! Nothing huge, but I'm excited about them!

So, which of these scenes do you think was the saddest? What sad movie scenes would you add to the list? (give a spoiler warning in your comment, please xD) 

12 comments:

  1. EXCUSE ME. HOW DARE YOU BREAK MY HEART A DOZEN TIMES OVER???

    Okay, but really, this was a BRILLIANT idea for a blog post and now I'm trying to think of all the saddest movie scenes for me. XDD Except you nailed SO MANY. Like. YES to all of this?? Well, I've yet to see that Tinker Bell movie (I think I've only seen the first couple of those, I need to watch the others!) OR The Amazing Spider-man 2 (though I already knew the THING that happens just from knowing some Spider-man background already) but I've seen and love like ALL THE OTHERS. AND JUST. MY HEART.

    The Cinderella scene gets my every. single. time. POOR ELLA. And oh my WORD. Don't even get me started on Return of the King! Can we just label the whole stinkin' movie as one big ol' sob-inducing scene? Because, despite having watched it some 923984 times over the years, I'm still a sobbing mess through like 87% of it. UGH. DAT MOVIE.

    And Infinity War gawwwssshhh. I will be scarred for life from that. >.>

    Up is definitely another movie I can barely make it through without breaking down. *sniffles* And OF COURSE The Hunger Games. Good gracious. It's so rude. SO RUDE.

    I'm trying to think of some others, but you hit on like all the main ones for me! Huzzah for movies that emotionally scarred us??? XD

    ALSO. Your post wasn't showing up on my dashboard for some reason. I guess because you changed your URL (which is very exciting, by the way! :D). So I unfollowed and re-followed. HOPEFULLY that will fix it because I don't want to miss any brilliant Emily posts! And I'm excited to hear about these changes coming! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SORRY. *notsorry*

      Aw, thanks! Ooh, I definitely recommend that you watch the rest of the Tinker Bell movies! They're honestly some of my favorites, just so fun and magical. ♥ The Amazing Spider-man movies are great, too!

      Cinderella just brings so many emotions up for me and just DX YES, Return of the King is just... just... oh man. I have no words.

      Yeahh, Infinity War was an emotional trainwreck. :(

      *tries really hard not to make a Hunger Games pun* *really I'm trying* It really was SO RUEd. *fails*

      Hehe, yes, huzzah for sharing heartbreaking movies. xD But they're really some of the best, aren't they??

      Hmm, that's strange. Thanks for letting me know, though- hopefully that fixed it! And thank you!! I'm excited too! :D

      Delete
  2. THERE IS SO MUCH PAIN ON THIS LIST WHAT THE HECK. BUT the whole thing is so helpful for knowing how to crush my readers' hearts *cough sorry* I mean make my books more emotional! Obviously! I may or may not turn on the Spirit soundtrack every time I write a sad scene mwahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO MUCH PAIN. Hehehehe happy to be of service. *evil smile* DUDE THE SPIRIT SOUNDTRACK IS SO GOOD. I love it so much and it's indeed perfect for writing sadness. xD

      Delete
  3. Ohhhhhh the LOTR scenes! I don't remember crying at those parts while watching the movie, but I DEFINITELY cried during the book. A lot. (My family was quite concerned. XD)

    INFINITY WAR *cries* (Actually, though, I think I'd add the death(s) in Endgame to the list...the one in the middle (being vague to try to avoid spoilers) had me bawling like a baby. It was bad.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got emotional reading LOTR last time, too, moreso than watching the movies! Specifically the part where Sam says "Don't go where I can't follow!"... I mean... how can that NOT make you a wreck?? It somehow hit me even harder than that part in the movie did. :'(

      Oh my, yes, that death was rough. D: The entirety of those movies was rough!! *weeps*

      Delete
  4. The ending of all the Narnia movies always makes me emotional. Oh and Spirit, that part always got me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! And yeah, Spirit just makes me a wreck.

      Delete
  5. I totally resonate with pretty well all of these, but I feel like Up and Bridge to Terebithia should DEFINITELY be on the list because I literally sob uncontrollably every single time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen all of these except the Neverland Beast (although my younger sisters had watched it, so I already knew the scene), BUT OMG I STARTED CRYING JUST READING YOUR LIST OF MOVIES. For me, the ones that hit the worst are Revenge of the Sith (literally that whole movie, even though it's my favorite) and The Amazing Spiderman 2. I've genuinely never been able to fully come to terms with either of those endings. Like, my brain just won't accept that those things happened.

    Great post! So many things I need to rewatch now, because yes, it's heartbreaking. But it's only because these movies ARE SO DARN GOOD.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REVENGE OF THE SITH IS SO ROUGH GAAHHH. Like honestly my heart just breaks through the whole thing. DX And YES The Amazing Spider-man 2 is just... ughhhhh. SO SAAAD.

      Delete