Saturday, June 27, 2020

JUNE 2020


Hello, lovely people! Can you believe it's the end of June?? Summer is officially here, and the year is halfway over. 2020 IS HALFWAY OVER.


This has seriously been SUCH a crazy beginning to the decade. Nobody would have thought it would have started out like this, huh?? But here we are, we're surviving, and hopefully the second half will look a little brighter!

For now, though, let's focus on June, shall we?

I mentioned last month that I had started reading Dust by Kara Swanson. (my first-ever print ARC of a book, by the way, which is pretty exciting.) I finished it the first week of June and AHHHHHH. You guys NEED to read this as soon as it comes out because it was SO SO GOOD. prepare yourself for a killer cliffhanger that will make you question everything though lol haha haha fun times

I read the Stories That Sing anthology! So many great stories! As a whole, I think I even liked it a wee bit more than the first anthology. no I'm not biased why would you ask What I love about these anthologies is that even though they have their share of stories I just don't love, there's such a wide variety that there are plenty of stories I DO love!

And finally, I read Rising Shadows by Ashley Townsend! Aaaad here we are with another cliffhanger. Why do I always buy only the first books of sets? xD I enjoyed this book and while I feel like it could have been MORE (vague, I know), I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy!

Writing was next to nonexistent this month. I did do a little teensy-weensy bit of work on Roots to Claim, but definitely not the 10 chapters worth of work I was aiming for at the beginning of the month. (maybe a bit of a lofty goal? maybe??)

I really want to intentionally make a habit of taking even just five minutes a day to write. It almost hurts to even say that, because I really love the idea of getting all my other responsibilities out of the way and having at least an hour to sit down and dive deep into my story. And five minutes a day sounds like so little progress, you know?

But honestly, those longer sessions are rarely as fruitful as I'd like them to be, because when you sit me down in front of a computer for an hour you can BET I'm going to get distracted. BUT if I just make it a goal to work on my WIP for five minutes every day, and force myself to stay hyper-focused on JUST my story for that five minutes, I'll actually be making progress. And sometimes I know that five minutes will turn into even longer, and maybe with time I'll be able to stay hyper-focused for that whole hour. xD

Also, I've tried a "Writing Log" page in my bullet journal multiple times, and it just WON'T WORK FOR ME. Keeping track of words written every day is next to impossible sometimes, especially when you're rewriting. But if I record how much time I spend working instead, I think it might be better? We'll see!

I'm planning on doing Camp NaNo in July, so hopefully I'll be able to kickstart some real progress (without it completely consuming my life)! :D


I watched Ralph Breaks the Internet, which was great. My favorite part was the Disney Princesses. xD


I started watching The Saddle Club with my sisters. Yes, we are all adults, thank you very much. xD But it's been SUCH a nostalgia trip and I miss those carefree days. If you didn't know, before writing consumed my life, horses did. And I think Pine Hollow was pretty much every horse-crazy girl's dream back in the day. xD

the childhood feeeels
I've started doing monthly themes in my bullet journal! Last month was actually my first time doing this, and I did a Star Wars theme. But I forgot to show anything other than what was in my title photo, and I didn't do anything that exciting with it other than draw some lightsabers, so that doesn't really count. xD But in the spirit of finishing Dust, I decided on a Peter Pan theme this month and I was pretty pleased with how it turned out.



What I've been listening to:

Dear Yesterday by Michael Booth // I love this whole album, and the lyrics have really been speaking to me lately. Especially this song:

Though my heart won't heal this side of heaven
And the hurt I feel this side of heaven
Will stay with me for all my days
Til at last we're face to face
Still my heart will choose
To trust in You


// This Side of Heaven

This is such a beautiful song. While we can certainly find peace and comfort in this life, we won't experience perfect healing and wholeness until we're in heaven. But it's trusting in God and His purpose and plan for our lives that will help us find peace while on this earth. You should definitely go listen to this song.

For King and Country // After falling in love with the song "Fix My Eyes" and having it on repeat, and listening to the "Burn the Ships" album a couple times, I've decided I really like this band and should listen to more of them. *nods*





Remember that post I wrote about shalom that was inspired by the Out of Time series? NADINE BRANDES actually READ IT and I just O_O WHAAAT.

#ded



That's about it! Looking back, it seems June was actually pretty full, and went by a lot faster than May did. It was a good month, and I'm ready for July! Let's all hit this second half of 2020 with all we've got!

How was YOUR June? Any highlights? Did any of you watch The Saddle Club when you were younger?? And finally, WHO ELSE IS DOING CAMP NANO?? Let's panic in complete un-preparedness together! 

23 comments:

  1. BULLET JOURNAL MONTHLY SPREADS ARE THE BEST.And that Peter Pan one looks fantastic! *whispers* do you know what your July one is yet? XD

    I hope you have an amazing July, Emily! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES TO BULLET JOURNALS. Thank you! Hehehe well it's going to be super patriotic, if that gives you any hints... ;)

      Thank you, Nicole! <3

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, your Peter Pan spread is GORGEOUSSSSS!!!! Peter Pan is my FAVORITE. I am SO. ECSTATIC. about Dust. I've preordered it, so I should get my copy in a few weeks and I AM PUMPED. EEEEEE!!!!! (Although now I'm nervous about this cliffhanger. o.o)

    Oooh, Ashley Townsend's books were a lot of fun! I actually like the next two much better than the first, so I'd definitely stick with it! They're full of all sorts of goodness. ^_^

    I recently watched Ralph Breaks the Internet for the first time too! The princesses were 100% my FAVE. All their scenes had my cracking up. XDDD

    And oooh my goodness, THE SADDLE CLUB. Now that brings back memories. Yes I DID watch it when I was little. Loved that show! And my horse obsession, too, basically took over my childhood. The girl's life at Pine Hollow was definitely my dream life. XD

    How exciting you're doing Camp NaNo! I don't think I'll be doing it but I DO hope to get a lot of rewriting done, so I guess I'll be doing it with you guys in spirit. ;D I hope it goes WONDERFULLY for you and you have the BEST July!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! Ooh yes, I think you're going to love Dust! (And you SHOULD be nervous about the cliffhanger. Hehehehe)

      Oh, that's good to hear! I'm excited about reading books 2 and 3. :D

      Yes, I was basically laughing every second the princesses were on screen!! They were GREAT. xD

      YESS to The Saddle Club!! I was wondering if you had watched it, since I knew you were a horse kid. Pine Hollow was definitely the dream. xD

      Ooh, good luck with your rewriting! We're still in the same boat there. ;D Thank you, Christine!! <3

      Delete
  3. Wow, your bullet journal looks lovely! I've kind of always wanted to give that a try, but I'm not the most artistic, and my handwriting is the worst, soooo...

    I never watched Saddle Club, but I believe I read the books it's based on? Those were some of my favorites!

    I've never seen Ralph Breaks the Internet, but that gif makes me 1000% want to watch it! XD

    Have a good July! Good luck with Camp Nano!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Actually, this was pretty much the first time I really did anything artsy with my bullet journal. xD If it's something you really want to try, you should still give it a go! That's what I love about it; it can be whatever you want it to be.

      I read some of the books, too! Watching the show has really been making me want to revisit them. <3

      You should watch it then, because the gif accurately represents how funny it is. xD

      Thank you! :D

      Delete
  4. I read the Saddle Club as a kid! And I loved it! xD I was SUCH a horse girl you would not BELIEVE.

    Okay, so I can't bullet journal to save my life, BUT I feel like that sleep tracker would be an incredibly healthy and helpful thing and I should probably try it. Let's see how that goes in future mwahaha.

    Ralph Breaks the Internet was so fun for sure! I actually saw it in theaters ;) but it was a rollicking good time so no worries on that front. The princesses were highly entertaining.

    I hope you have a great July!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss I loved the books, too! Sounds like we both had the horse fever. ;)

      The sleep tracker is one of my favorite pages! Although I often get behind and forget what hours I slept a week ago so I have to wing it. xD

      Yes, I loved it! I need to watch Wreck-It Ralph again now, because I actually remember very little about it. Oops.

      Thanks, Faith! You too!

      Delete
  5. For King and Country is AMAZINGGGGG. So happy you're getting into them!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. 2020 being halfway over already sounds fake. There's literally no way. Cite your sources pls.

    AHHHH I'm doing Camp too! It's my first time doing anything NaNo (except for an aborted attempt at Camp four years ago that we don't talk about), so I'm super duper nervous. Best of luck to you!! I always love reading people's NaNo progress posts/wrapups, so I'm looking forward to yours.

    Writing logs in my journal never worked for me, either. For me, I had to start keeping myself accountable using a website, something that's more "external" to me than my own journal, if that makes sense, something that feels more like an objective "outside" measurer of my progress. (Even though that's a mind trick bc literally no one other than me can see my project lol.)

    - Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT. Maybe I SHOULD check again... xD

      AHHH your first NaNo?? That's so exciting! (and hopefully it turns out better than the one we don't talk about ;) You've got this!!

      That DOES make sense, actually! I can see how having something separate and specifically for keeping track of writing could help.

      Delete
  7. I'm also in a bit of shock that 2020 is half done. Before we know it it'll be 2034...

    So funny how so many Emilys in the world are horse-crazy. ;) Hope you have a great next couple months of summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? It still doesn't seem accurate that it's 2020. o_o

      Hehe. ;P Thank you! You too!

      Delete
  8. My month was very full too! I've seen a few saddles club movies. Have a great July Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh I can't wait to get my hands on Dust!! It sounds so good and the cover is so beautiful! :b

    I loved Ralph Breaks the Internet and all the princesses together?? So awesome!

    That's so cool that Nadine Brandes read your post and tweeted about it!
    I hope you have a great July!

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover of Dust is honestly one of the most breathtaking things I've ever laid eyes on. :D

      Thank you, Melody! :D

      Delete
  10. I've been really into for King and Country, too! The song Burn the Ships is my favorite.

    I'm planning a post on Ralph Breaks the Internet because I have THOUGHTS about it. It's been a few months since I saw it, but I still haven't written it. XD One of these days...

    Oh, I like your bullet journal theme! I love all things Peter Pan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Burn the Ships a lot, too! That whole album is pretty great.

      Ooh, I can't wait to read your post whenever you do write it! :D

      Thank you!!

      Delete
  11. I’m praising God that 2020 is halfway over! This year needs to go bye bye ASAP. 😂 I feel like every month is like yay we survived! Six more to go! Your bullet journal is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Burn the Ships is such a beautiful song!!! I'm glad you're getting into FK&C; they are a brilliant band!

    Saddle Club! I used to love that show as well. I don't think I ever saw all the episodes, but there was definitely a good year or so where I was pretty obsessed with horse books/movies. So I definitely get the nostalgia of going back to watch that show!

    I know what you mean about taking even a little bit of time to write each day! Just five minutes doesn't sound like a lot, but it's better than 0 and it does add up! I'm doing the 100-4-100 on GTW for that reason. Some days, I barely make it to the 100 words and some days I do way more than that! But I haven't missed a day of writing since the end of May, and for me that's major progress!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to read Dust!
    I've been having a tough time writing too.

    ReplyDelete