Thursday, June 20, 2019

Language of Worlds: SOPHIE

Hey guys! Today I'm  excited and a little intimidated to present another Language of Worlds post!

Why am I intimidated? Well, these things always challenge me to really dig deep into my characters and ask questions I never would have thought to ask. It's great, though, and today I'm answering these questions for Sophie, the protagonist of my book Fall Into Time


So before I get started, in case you didn't know: The Language of Worlds is a really cool linkup created by Liv K. Fisher. You can answer the questions on your blog and add your link with all the others! The original post for this month with all the questions and more details is HERE.


And you can read a little bit more about Sophie and Fall Into Time HERE.

1. Your character goes on a leisurely stroll. Where to?

Sophie's house is surrounded by woods and has a long road leading up to it with trees on either
side. So she would either stroll down that road or maybe through the woods around her house.

2. What's their favorite food? Why? What does it taste like?

I'm not certain about the specifics, but it would be something her mom makes. And it would be some kind of comfort food that she's been eating since she was a kid.

3. Describe their typical day.

She would wake up early and go to work at the Dragon's Cave, a cafe in her hometown. After a full shift waiting tables, she'll go home, catch up on any leftover homework, have dinner, then it's off to night classes. Then when she comes home it's probably a snack and late-night game or talk with her brother before going to bed.

4. When are they most productive? Morning, evening, or sometime in-between?

Probably in the morning. She's definitely a wake-up-early-and-get-stuff-done kind of person.

5. Who are they closest to?

It's a toss-up between her brother Parker and her best friend Lily.

image from pinterest
6. Have they ever lost someone close to them?

Ooooh... this is a really tricky question because of mild spoilers. Yes and no. xD I mean, at the beginning of the book her uncle dies. She's not super close to him, but his death triggers some emotional trauma for her, so it counts.

7. Describe their education.

At the time the story takes place Sophie's in college. Or the Alanderian version of college. I'm still working on some of the details about this. But I think it'll be pretty similar to universities in our world... only with classes about unicorns and earth-powered technology, and gryphons casually parked outside where cars would normally be.

As far as her childhood education, it would be pretty similar. Like I said, schooling is fairly close to how we know it.

8. What is their talent?

She's really good in school and has a way of connecting with people. So she would probably be a really great teacher.

9. When do they doubt themself? What makes them do so?

When she has so much to do and not enough time to do it. She feels like she can't handle everything and just wants to have complete control over her responsibilities.

10. When do they feel most comfortable/cozy?

When she's at home with her family with nothing to do.

A drawing of Sophie I did a year or two back.
And that's Sophie! I hope you liked her and I look forward to sharing more about her and her story in the future. She's really special to me and her story is something that's really important for me to write.

Also, wish me luck because I'm going to TRY to do Camp NaNo again in July! I did it in April to finish Roots to Claim and while I didn't quite finish, I made it to my goal of 15k and brought myself close enough to the end to finish a few weeks later. I'm having a bit of trouble getting back into Fall Into Time after being away from it for months, so I'm hoping Camp NaNo will be the boost I need to get back in full swing. First, though, I've got to actually do some planning to figure out where the heck I need to be going with this story. xD

What did you think of Sophie? Can you relate to any of the things she's dealing with? Have you participated in Language of Worlds? Oh, and would you rather go to a university in Alander than one in our world? xD

10 comments:

  1. Hope you have fun with camp NaNo in July! I didn't know they had one in July... ;)
    Sophie sounds cool!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh every time I read one of your posts, I get more and more intrigued about this story, it sounds amazing! I love magical worlds mixed with ones like our own. :D I hope NaNo helps you get back into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you so much! Yes, worlds similar to ours with fantastical elements are so cool.

      Hopefully it does! I still haven't done any planning though, so it's doubtful. xD

      Delete
  3. Oh my word, this character is so much like me it's ridiculous!! LOL

    Now I gotta read this and see what book me is like. 😂

    Honestly, Alander sounds like a good place to reside, so...Alander. 😁

    Thanks for featuring this character, Emily!!

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's so funny! She's actually quite a bit like me, too.

      Glad you liked her!!

      Delete
  4. Love that she works at a cafe. Nice picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her world sounds really neat! I love her name too. ^ ^

    ReplyDelete