Thursday, July 8, 2021

WHY THE RAMONA AND BEEZUS MOVIE MEANS SO MUCH TO ME


I recently rewatched the movie Ramona and Beezus for about the millionth time, and was reminded of just how much I love it. I think it's one of the most rewatchable movies I've ever seen. 

In case you've never seen it... based on the Beezus and Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, it's about 9-year-old Ramona Quimby, who tries her best to help her family and be herself but always seems to get into trouble. Her older sister Beezus (the nickname accidentally given to Beatrice when Ramona was a baby) doesn't always help much either- of course she and Ramona love each other, but it seems Ramona's always getting on Beezus's nerves.


Even though this movie seems like just a cutesy, feel-good family film... it means so much more than that to me. And today I want to talk about why I love it so much. 

First of all, it's about family. It highlights the cozy, special times that families have together, and takes me back to my childhood. I love being at home, and this movie embodies that safe, beautiful feeling of being in the four walls of your home making memories with people you love. (And the Quimby family is ridiculously likeable- I absolutely love every member, and of course Aunt Bea and Uncle Hobart. You couldn't have asked for a better cast.)

also Ginnifer Goodwin looks sooo pretty in this movie

Have you ever gotten that feeling when something happens that's really simple, but for some reason, so very beautiful and special? And you long to experience it again the next time there's a chance, but there's just no planning these moments. They fall into place and you don't know when they'll come again. Maybe I'm the only one who really takes note of these things... but it's one of my favorite things ever. Like... when it snows and you're watching movies with your sisters and maybe you've done it a million times before, but for whatever reason this time there was just this feeling that you wish you could capture and hold onto forever. I don't know if this makes sense at all, because I can't really put it into words. 

But to me, that's what this whole movie feels like. From Ramona and Howie playing in the hole in her house, to Ramona drawing the biggest picture in the world with her dad while home sick from school, to Ramona and Beezus arguing at home alone until something happens that brings them together and makes them stop fighting. It's just like a chain of those moments that are so bittersweet, you wish you could relive them, because you feel like you might not ever get that feeling again. 



I was a teenager when I first watched it, but after a while I realized just how much I related to Ramona. As the youngest child, I often felt the same way she did. (she does have a baby sister in the movie, but she clearly hasn't been around very long, and Ramona still seems very much the youngest child.) She honestly reminds me so much of how I was when I was a kid.

She has big ideas that don't work out. Her fashion sense is similar to how I would have dressed at that age. (and hers is honestly better- one time my mom let me leave the house in a red turtleneck, a yellow vest, and a black bejewelled sock cap. I still can't get over how horrendous I didn't realize I looked.) She tries to do grown-up things and help out but is stopped by her big sister and others telling her that she can't. 

Honestly? I'm having a hard time putting how much this movie means into words, because I guess it's hard putting your feelings into words. There were a whole lot of times as a kid when I felt lonely and unneeded, just like Ramona did. My siblings were all so much older than me that I had trouble relating to them, and it seemed they never wanted to do the things I wanted to do. I couldn't seem to grow up fast enough, because then maybe I'd be seen and fit in with the rest of my family. 

One scene in particular really hits hard- when Ramona falls through the attic floor and causes a big scene in the middle of her family's open house. Her dad tells her, "It's time to grow up!" and she says, "Can't you see I'm trying?!" To which her dad responds, "You need to try harder!" 

Now, her dad is fantastic and he obviously didn't mean to hurt her. But words like that do hurt. I've been there. My whole life, it seems. Being the youngest, and having most of the important people in your life in different seasons than you, is hard, and I think sometimes people in those situations are treated a little unfairly. 

At the end there's a scene where Ramona decides she's going to run away. (has every kid has this thought at least once in their lives? I know I did, though I never in a million years would have had the guts to do it. xD) Her mom walks in on her packing her suitcase and decides to help her out, then puts a scarf on her, makes her promise to write, and sends her out the door all alone. Ramona then walks down her street crying, a poignant Taylor Swift song starts playing, and my heart breaks for this poor little girl. 

Long story short  (spoiler alert, if you haven't seen it), she ends up at the bus station realizing that her mom packed her suitcase with heavy items so she wouldn't be able to go very far, and her family is right behind her in the car. The following reunion is possibly one of the most heartwarming movie scenes I've ever watched. The family share a hug and Mrs. Quimby says "I'd be just lost without my Ramona." 

And Ramona realizes just how much she's loved and needed by her family. Something every child should be assured of. 


I don't really know what else I can say. But this movie is just SUCH  beautiful, relatable representation of what it's like to be a kid, and be frustrated, and try your hardest only for things to go wrong. It's a soft, homey movie that reminds you how special it is to be little and make carefree memories with your family, and makes you want to go back to those days. It shows that kids can be unhappy even when their life and family seem perfect, and that everyone needs to be reminded that they're loved and given a bit of extra affection now and then. 

I wish I could say exactly how this movie makes me feel, but I suppose that's why it's so special to me- it just strikes something deep within me that I can't explain, and perhaps nobody else feels quite the same way. But this movie will forever be one of my favorite comfort movies- perhaps my favorite, as I've watched it time and time again- and I love it so much. < 3


Don't you just love those movies that give you warm fuzzies and that you could watch once a week and never tire of? This was kind of a different post, but I knew when I rewatched this movie the other day that it was something I wanted to talk about. I hope you guys enjoyed it! < 3

AND hey, a heads up: there won't be a post next week, because... *deep breath* I'LL BE AT REALM MAKERS!! I have NO idea how it's already here, but I'm so excited! (Prayers would be appreciated- particularly for my critique appointment I'm stressing about for no reason.) 

ALSO, even if you're not attending the conference in-person or virtually, the Realm Awards ceremony is being streamed live for the public! So, if you're interested in watching, I believe it'll be available on their Facebook page. (I don't think you would need a Facebook account to watch?) You might catch a glimpse of me in my costume (which has not yet been disclosed to you ;)), or my story "The Hero of Parker City" being read off as a Flash Fiction finalist! (which still hasn't quite sunk in, I don't think? *gulps*)

ANYWAY, I hope you all are having a fantastic July so far, and I can't wait to see some of you at Realm Makers!! *CONFETTI*

What are some of your favorite comfort movies? Have you seen Ramona and Beezus? Is there a movie that you relate to deeply? And if you're a veteran Realmie- any advice for a first-time attendee? 


3 comments:

  1. Shameful Confession: I have never seen this movie. But now I want to! It sounds absolutely darling. <3 And I know 100% EXACTLY the type of moments you were talking about. Those types that CAN'T be planned, they just...happen. They're such magical times. <3

    That's so precious this movie means so much to you. I love those stories that touch us in all the right places. Clearly I need to give this one a watch!

    AND EMILY. I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU ABOUT REALM MAKERS!!!! I hate I won't be there because I NEED to meet my Emily. *sobs* ONE DAY we're gonna end up there together. I'm determined! BUT STILL. I'm so insanely thrilled for you!

    I can't even sort of pretend to be a conference veteran AT ALL. But after my first time at RM, I did write a post on how to make the most out of your time there: https://christinesmithauthor.com/2019/06/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-realm-makers-and-other-writers-conferences/

    I'm absolutely praying for you as your prep and everything. But, girl, you are going to have the BEST and most magical time, and I'm so thrilled for you. I cannot wait to hear how it went when you get back! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you totally need to watch it!! It's just so sweet. <3 And I'm so glad you know what I mean about those moments that can't be planned! They're some of my favorite parts of life. <3

      CHRISTIIINE. I wish SO much that you were going to be there, you have no idea!! *hugs* (And I've definitely read that post two or three or four times. xD)

      Thank you so much!! I'll be sure to take lots of pictures to bring back to the blog! ;) <3

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say that I just rewatched the movie and it is one of my favorite movies as well! Definitely gives me warm feelings and I also relate with being the youngest. When you are young it just seems like everyone is smarter and doesn't give you a chance. After the movie, I literally searched google "why is ramona and beezus the best movie ever?" and so glad I stumbled upon this blog.

    ReplyDelete