Saturday, October 3, 2020

RAMBLINGS ABOUT DISNEY PRINCESSES AND STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS


 Hey everyone, and HAPPY OCTOBER!! 


*throws leaves everywhere*


I'm so excited that October is here! I'm readyyy for those cooler temperatures. I would like to wear sweaters every day, please and thank you. in case I've never mentioned it before fall is my favorite season and I like it a little okay a lot


So, today's post is probably going to be somewhat rambly and disjointed... but hey, that's how I roll so we'll go with it. It's sort of less like one post and more like two mini-posts in one, if that makes sense? XD


Basically, I had two ideas but didn't know if I wanted to expand them into two separate posts AND I also wanted to get all these thoughts out before I forgot them. So. Here you have it. xD


get ON with it emily what the heck is this post even about


I mentioned last week that I watched the live-action Aladdin for the first time, and also rewatched Cinderella. I also said I might write posts about them and, well, here you have it. Two posts in one. You're welcome.


When I watched Aladdin, the part that stood out to me the most was "Speechless". 


First of all, the song and scene are just downright awesome. Naomi Scott is a fantastic singer, the scene is visually gorgeous, and the song is so powerful. 


But what spoke to me in particular? 


To state the obvious, it's an inspiring song- whether it challenges you personally to speak out about your faith, or all the things happening in the world, or simply to stand up for yourself in a situation. Whatever it is you're facing, whatever you feel speechless about, the lyrics are an encouragement to find your voice and not be silent when it matters most. 


I won't be silenced

You can't keep me quiet

Won't tremble when you try it

All I know is I won't go speechless

'Cause I'll breathe

When they try to suffocate me

Don't you underestimate me

All I know is I won't go speechless


Your voice is important. Don't just sit back and watch other people do all the work and silently agree with them. You don't have to be loud. You don't even have to take every opportunity to speak. Not everyone is called to use their voice in the same way. But in a world where so many voices scream lies and corruption, I think it's important that we find the way God wants us to add our voice. This song was a fantastic reminder of that.  


But what stood out the most to me about this scene is what happened after the song. 


After such a powerful, triumphant anthem, you would expect something big to happen. Something worthy of fireworks and unfurling flags. But what actually happened was so much  more powerful than any of that would have been.


Jasmine didn't start a revolution. She didn't deliver a rousing freedom speech to a cheering crowd. She didn't even confront the enemy directly. She didn't kick Jafar's tail with her unexpected karate skills. All she did was speak up. To one man. To a friend. She asked her father's soldier to do what was right. 


She didn't singlehandedly take down Jafar. There was no screaming. No demanding. No showdown. Just a girl asking for help. 


*cue the feminists forming an angry mob to take me down* Say what you want, but I think that's incredibly powerful. Everybody wants to see that "strong female character" who don't need no man to save her. She can save herself and the world and look good doing it! But you know what?? Being strong does not mean never asking for help. And asking for help does not mean you're not strong. And I think it's extremely important to realize that, because what happens when the little girls who are looking up to all these "strong female characters", find themselves in a situation where they actually need help? The world and the media has told them that they can do anything, so they definitely shouldn't ask for help, right? I could go off on this for a while, but I won't. At least not today. But I loved that Jasmine's moment of triumph was quiet, subtle- but not any less strong.


And now for the not-so-smooth transition into Cinderella


After watching Aladdin, I watched this fanmade music video (I shared it last week but I'll put it here again in case you missed it):

   

I loved it, and every second was fantastic. But a couple things in particular stood out to me.  


First, during this line of the song: "Let the storm in// I cannot be broken...", we see Ella dancing around her attic in circles. This was such a beautiful moment, one that fills me with admiration and quiet honestly gives me chills. Though Ella was enduring awful circumstances, she still somehow found joy and didn't allow herself to be broken.


 After that, I wanted to see Cinderella again, so I watched it with my sisters. You know how it is when you watch a movie or something and you like it, but it doesn't quite strike a chord with you yet? Don't let me wrong, I always loved the movie. But I remember when it first came out, people talking about what an amazing character Ella was, and how she was unlike other "strong female characters" yet was one of the best. While I found no reason to disagree with these things, I just never found myself stirred in the same way. 


This time hit different, as the cool kids are saying. I was struck with how patient, and kind, and strong Ella was. "Have courage and be kind", indeed. Ella was treated so, so unfairly by her stepfamily, yet she always continued to be kind to them. Not once did she have an ugly attitude or stoop to their level. 


My other favorite part of that video? The ending. When Ella turns around, looks at her stepmother, and says, "I forgive you."


Another quiet moment of triumph and strength. Forgiveness isn't weakness, either. What makes me appreciate this moment so much was a book I read a year or so ago. It was sort of a reimagining/sequel for the Cinderella story, taking place after the traditional fairy tale ends. I liked the book but didn't love it, because I had a really hard time liking the main character Ella. She made it no secret how much she despised her stepfamily, and was pretty hateful to her stepmother in at least one scene. Listen, I get that they were hateful to her. I get that they deserved every bit of hatred she may have had for them. But reading that book, I just kept thinking, The Ella from the movie wouldn't have done that. Clearly this Ella's mother didn't share the "Have courage and be kind" memo with her. 


And so that one simple moment of forgiveness in the movie is so beautiful. The whole movie is so well done, and to be honest I kind of already want to watch it again. 


*takes a deep breath* Okay, so that was super all over the place and rambly. But stories that stir our hearts need to be talked about, right? And I've come forward from watching these movies inspired to use my voice, inspired to be kind and not lose my light in a world of darkness. 


Let's all be challenged to speak truth into a society that will discard us if we don't agree with it. Let's show kindness to those who don't deserve it. Let's use the love and joy that Jesus has given us to shine light when our circumstances suggest that it's impossible. 


Friends, I hope you can find encouragement in these words, too. This world needs people willing to have courage and be kind, and not remain speechless. 




16 comments:

  1. I love this post! Not all strength has to be loud and revolutionary. It can be in simply using your voice, facing a fear, and forgiveness. Forgiving someone is especially hard, so much easier to just be angry. Anyway fantastic post!
    I need to watch Aladdin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Strength can be quiet, too. "so much easier to just be angry"-- yes!! Forgiveness is INCREDIBLY strong. Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, Emily! Speechless was an incredible song. Even if the way you do speak out is by asking for help, don't forget that you have a voice. As an introvert I'm very quiet so those are words that I need to hear from time to time. Also, yes! Cinderella is my favorite!! I love stories where characters remain kind in cruel situations. Those are my favorite, too! <333

    "But stories that stir our hearts need to be talked about, right?" <--- 100% right!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, just because you might need to ask for help doesn't mean you don't have a voice. *raises hand* This introvert needs that same encouragement. ;)

      <33

      Delete
  3. Oh, this is so on point! Being strong doesn't mean going it on your own, or never forgiving. Hatred isn't strong--forgiveness is. Wow. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Absolutely, forgiveness is so much stronger than hate. <3

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, THIS POST. Can I just hug it forever??? I 100000% agree with EVERYTHING here!

    Aladdin and Cinderella are two of my most FAVORITE of the live-action remakes, and the poignant themes is a big reason for that. Going into Aladdin I feared we were going to be bashed in the head with a big feminist message and I was bracing myself for it. Imagine my surprise when it ended up being a BEAUTIFUL message that I totally agree with and not toxic or too heavy-handed at all! I WAS SO PROUD. Seriously, it was such an inspiring, beautiful film that didn't portray women as people who HAVE to do EVERYTHING THEMSELVES and are weak and terrible if they ask for help. Because...that seems to be what media is teaching us. And while we're on that topic...

    "And I think it's extremely important to realize that, because what happens when the little girls who are looking up to all these "strong female characters", find themselves in a situation where they actually need help? The world and the media has told them that they can do anything, so they definitely shouldn't ask for help, right?" <---THISSS. YES. AMEN. PREACH IT. I've always thought that the whole girls shouldn't ask for help message is so, so toxic, but you put the reason WHY into words!!! YES. I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. Asking for help is GOOD. God doesn't WANT us to live this life alone and constantly assert ourselves forward to get what we want.

    Which segues right into the Cinderella thing because YESSSS. Cinderella was like my role model when I was little, and then the live-action version came out and just *clutches heart* They portrayed her to PERFECTION. Because that's the thing, being gentle IS strong. Ella managing to keep her gentleness and kindness after all that is one of the strongest things I've ever seen. She could have become bitter and cruel and stooped to her step-family's level. But she DIDN'T. She kept her gentle-spirit and kindness, and THAT is what a true "strong female character" is to me.

    I'm just...so proud of Disney for these films. And so proud of YOU for this post! IT IS EVERYTHING. Thank you so much for sharing!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABSOLUTELY YES, I was so pleased with the subtlety of the messages in both those movies! And they were realistic, too. I see Cinderella and Jasmine as far stronger than any leather-jumpsuit, I-can-beat-the-boys up character, because I can RELATE to them. (Even though I'm not an actual princess. xD) Let's be honest, those over-the-top feminist messages are more than likely not going to inspire anybody into action. Less is more.

      "God doesn't WANT us to live this life alone and constantly assert ourselves forward to get what we want." YES! That's such a good way to put it. The message that we should reject other people's help (especially those of the male variety) and do everything on our own is actually very prideful, I believe. And again, unrealistic, because WE CAN'T DO EVERYTHING ON OUR OWN.

      Ella is honestly one of my new favorite fictional characters. At my job I experience daily temptations to show impatience and frustration where it would benefit no one. Holding onto kindness and grace is extremely difficult, and Ella is such a beautiful example of how I want to act. <3

      Thank you so much, Christine! I'm so, so glad you liked it. <3

      Delete
  5. WOOOOOW THIS POST I AM IN LOOOOOVE <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with this post SO HARD. I love a good stong female character, but like you said, it is OK to ask for help. This post is awesome and you did an amazing job writing it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Ignoring the need for help is not strong, it's just foolish. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  7. Okay, this is such a great post.
    First of all, Speechless is an amazing song. And, second of all, yesssss. I hate how so many times modern heroines all act the same. They're tough, sarcastic, tomboyish, and don't need help from a man (or anyone, for that matter). And, sure, there are girls who are tough and athletic and rebellious and sassy, but there are girls who are quiet and shy and domestic, and they deserve to be represented, too. Once again, amazing post, and you really did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, McKayla! Absolutely- you put it in perfect words! Not every strong or confident girl is a tomboy with a bold personality. And yes, those who are different need to represented! Thanks again! :D

      Delete
  8. I loved reading this little post. It's so true that bravery, courage and strength don't have to be massive things like fighting for what you believe in, but can just be small things like taking a step to speak out and let your voice be heard.
    And I love it when authors are brave enough to let their female characters ask for help. In my mind, that makes both the author and the character more mature (and honestly, more intelligent :P).
    Thanks for being brave and speaking out and writing this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Absolutely, even those little things can take just as much courage. (And the little things add up!)

      Yess! I LOVE seeing female characters who break the stereotypical roles. And like you said, it makes me appreciate the author more, too, because you know the expectancy for strong characters is to make them self-reliant and too proud to ask for help.

      Thank you for your lovely comment! I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete